LDS Tools App

applepansy

The personal information that is made available in LDS Tools and on LDS.org is no different than information that has always been available, just in paper form. I remember growing up in the 70s and 80s our stake produced a directory in book form every couple of years and distributed it to every members house. Today, the data you can see when you log in to LDS Tools or LDS.org is only for your ward and stake, and the stake information doesn't include children, only adults.

The type of data you have access to depends on your calling. For example, I am a counselor in the bishopric, on my LDS Tools app I can see things that the average ward member cannot, such as people's full birthdays, membershiop record number, temple recommend status, etc. This information is very helpful at times when fulfilling my calling, but the average member has no need for it. The same information is available to me on the computer in the clerk's office, but it's a huge convenience to be able to have it on my phone. My Bishop carries nothing on Sunday but his iPad, anything he needs to do or any information he needs is at his fingertips.

Any database or record designed to aid in identifying and contacting someone can be abused. The fact that abuse is possible does not mean the record or database is bad.

If some information should not be displayed, then simply make that known to the Church, and I expect it will be taken care of. I may be wrong, but I would be surprised if I were. Does anyone have any actual experience with this not happening?

Vort, each member can choose to show what they wish. The settings are there.

The issue I have is that no one knew this database was being published to members online until they stumbled upon it. For me, a heads up would have been all I needed. "The database is available. Everyone should sign in and make sure their information is correct and that information shared is appropriate for your personal circumstance." That's all it would have taken.

As it is, there are still people finding out through word of mouth.

One of the important aspects of using new technology is knowing the features of your technology. The LDS directory can be set to limit the amount of information visible. You can set your own information visible to only the ward leaders, to your ward, or to your entire stake.

The screenshot below is from my profile. Log in to the online directory, click on "My Household" and then on the "Edit" button above your household information. By clicking on any of the "Edit" links, you can hide your information from the stake or ward. This can be set individually for each phone number, email address, and photo in the directory for every member of the household.

If you have any concerns of how your information is being used, I recommend you turn them off. If you are unsure of how to do this, contact your ward clerk. Church policy is that any change requested of the ward clerk should be made within 24 hours.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bw3leA1Ef_e5MVBndWRKMS1RWnM/edit?usp=sharing

EDIT: Please excuse my photo. Apparently my wife thinks shaming me into cutting my hair is an effective way to get me to do it without letting it grow to where I look ridiculous. I didn't even realize that was my photo on the directory.

Edited by MarginOfError

Compared to what?... From LDS.org you can get addresses, and phone numbers. But to do this you have to have a current Membership record number linked to an LDS.org account, you have to live within the geographical area, and you have to know the persons name.

With a simple google search on a name (if it is uncommon and an area if it is not) you can generally get the exact same info.

While I can understand an interest in an academic discussion... Getting on the church's case and in a bishops face for not having 'locked the barn door' when the horses are clearly already running free seems very overly reactionary.

If you want to target some organization for change in how it handles private information... Target the government because it is by far the worst offender of the lot. And you can make the most impactful social change there

Who said target anyone?

I'm going to bring the issue to my Bishop's attention. I'm going to be nice and not "get in his face" about it. He gets to choose to pass it on or not.

I agree.... our government is out of control on many levels.

P.S. The family situation you describe fits my sister. After Josh Powell killed himself and his children she said her ex was like Josh and she had been protected by some of the court rulings but didn't realize it at the time. Her ex deliberately rented a house in their ward. On her weekends with the boys he would entice the boys to sit with him instead of her during Sacrament meeting. Their Bishop watched this and did nothing even when asked to intervene. It took a change in Bishopric for it to stop. And that wasn't all he was doing. She is not allowed to move the kids out of state by court order...so she can't get away from him. Now her ex is in the other ward because boundaries were changed but now with this new "tool" he has access and if she doesn't know about it and changes her settings, he'll have information he shouldn't have. He doesn't have her home phone number, only her cell and they communicate about the children through email. There is a restraining order but that didn't stop him from trying to run her off the road a year ago...she had their oldest son with her.

Edited by applepansy