Any aquarium enthusiasts out there?

Apple_Acres

Do you think I could keep some coral or anemones and just 2 or 3 fish plus a small clean up crew in a 29 gallon biocube? I know I would have to have special lighting and I wondered if any of those set ups came with better lighting, or I would have to customize it.

The two power compacts that come on the Biocube are strong enough for soft corals/polyps! You could do basic Zoanthids, Mushrooms, Green Star Polyps, Kenya Trees, and possibly Xenia under that lighting. Coral does put out waste though, like any other animal, so make sure to do those water changes and maybe do water tests for Ammonia every few weeks. The higher number of corals you have, the more nutrients they will take out of the water. Generally doing frequent water changes will help keep those in the tank if you use the right brand of sea salt. For anemones I'd recommend maybe just sticking with Condylactis (Condy for short) anemone, though clownfish generally won't host with those (especially if they're tank raised). With anemones it isn't as much light as making sure you feed them. At work I generally target feed them with brine or mysis shrimp. On water changes, avoid using tap water if at all possible. Many of your local fish stores will have RO (reverse osmosis) water (and sometimes they are already mixed with sea salt). For raising corals I would absolutely recommend using this. :)

Yes, unfortunately the two fish I was really hoping for are illegal: Jaguar and Tilapia... darn Utah.

I really wish they wouldn't make these laws. However, I plan on trout, sunfish, possible perch, bluegill type fish.

Pacu, are they good eating then?

Wish I could grow trout!!! Living in Florida, the water gets too hot.

Pacu are good eating! Well, at least the one and only pacu I've eaten at a friend's house.

I thought Pacu needs the same temperature as tilapia which is a different temperature as trout. I don't know how it is in Utah but if trout can live in a pond there then pacu might not. This aquaponics guy in Australia grow trout in the winter then switch over to pacu in the summer.

I thought Pacu needs the same temperature as tilapia which is a different temperature as trout. I don't know how it is in Utah but if trout can live in a pond there then pacu might not. This aquaponics guy in Australia grow trout in the winter then switch over to pacu in the summer.

If you had a really good pond heater, but preferably you'd want a greenhouse over it. :\

I like keeping fish too and have mostly kept fresh water fish. I haven't done much with the tanks I have right now. I currently keep two plecos in a tank at work right in front of my desk. At home I have an aquatic turtle (red eared slider). I want to get another tank that I can put fish in at home. I like molly's the most, but also plattys, gouramis, and fiddler and red claw crabs.

The crabs never lasted very long for me and were always trying to get out of the tank and sometimes succeeded. I remember one day going into my living room and seeing my crab running across the living room floor.

Wish I could grow trout!!! Living in Florida, the water gets too hot.

Pacu are good eating! Well, at least the one and only pacu I've eaten at a friend's house.

If I decide to plant trout in the pond, it will only be trout in the pond, however it is keeping the temperature below, if I am remembering correctly, 75 degrees (might be 70 degrees).

If I am unable to do this then I would plant fish like bluegill, sunfish, perch, maybe pacu which appear to have the same need for temperature.

You could plant and grow trout if you had sufficient water cooling systems.

If I decide to plant trout in the pond, it will only be trout in the pond, however it is keeping the temperature below, if I am remembering correctly, 75 degrees (might be 70 degrees).

If I am unable to do this then I would plant fish like bluegill, sunfish, perch, maybe pacu which appear to have the same need for temperature.

You could plant and grow trout if you had sufficient water cooling systems.

I would lean more towards 70 with trout.

I'll warn you up front, expensive isn't a powerful enough word for the cost of chillers, as we call them. A chiller for a 30 gallon tank can be 400 or more dollars, and it just goes up from there.

I was thinking of getting the BioCube HQI. I've been watching a lot of Youtube videos.

The lighting on the HQI would allow you to grow almost any coral you wanted, SPS (hard corals, generally more difficult) and LPS (soft corals, usually much easier to grow). Make sure you do your research about understanding salinity, calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium levels in your tank and how each will affect each other and coral. Then you'll also get into target feeding with zooplanton (phytofeast) and other fun stuff!

Apple, I could use some help with figuring out organic food for the tilapia... I'm trying to avoid GMO feeds.

First and foremost, I'd avoid anything with ANY land based animal meat (beefheart, chicken, liver, etc...). Tilapia, as with most cichlids, are omnivores, and in particular many species have been observed grazing on algae to some degree. Frozen shrimp of varying sizes (anything wild caught, such as mysis, will not be GMO or have additives), mussels (I've heard you can buy a few lbs of it for a reasonable price in some locations, and then just grate or cut it to size), daphnia, and spirulina (algae) wafers/pellets/discs, make a great supplements many times! I hope that's all helpful! :)

Apple, what's your opinion on using protein skimmers when keeping corals? I've read some people believe that they remove too much of the good stuff out of the water.

I was planning on using live rock and live sand as big part of my filtration.

For any tank 30 gallons and above, I would absolutely say yes to a protein skimmer. If you're raising soft corals, they prefer dirtier water to be honest, so less filtration can be good. Hard corals prefer very clean water.