Youth Aspirations

Anddenex

President Harold B. Lee,

"Much of youthful boredom and restlessness stems from the lengthened years of study and dependency before full responsibility and opportunities for service occur; our young want to be doing things and achieving things. They must be prepared, of course, but there are many things they could be doing as they mature if we will match the opportunities for service in our Church programs with the aspirations of our youth."

I truly like this quote. What in your opinion, thoughts, would be youthful aspirations to match Church service to?

Not sure how to directly answer your question but I entirely agree with this quote. Even now I feel like all I do is have these years of study yet I want to do something with it but don't know what and want to have days of service to help others yet I have a hard time finding opportunities. Slightly different scenario but the concept is the same. The youth learn from doing far better than just study. If you combine the two than you got a good church "program".

Responsibility with money.

Yard care for a widow or someone in need

Anything involving Sacrifice.

Show them how to use their years of study.

Trek was a good thing for the youth.

Also some church obstacle courses are fun.

Thats all I got at the moment.

I know in my ward mutual activities are something done for the youth rather than something done by the youth. And while we are teaching the theories of the gospel there is no where near enough service. I think if we got them involved in living the gospel we would be doing them more favours than we are now with entertaining them every week. I hope my ward is not representative, but it seems that to counter the falling attendance, and because parents don't force their kids to go anymore, we are trying harder to make it "fun" at the expense of true Christ centred service.

I know in my ward mutual activities are something done for the youth rather than something done by the youth.

I think this is key, that activities and other events for the youth are organized by the youth.

Who else would know better what their aspirations are then the youth themselves, and then leaders simply guide and walk beside.

Not sure how to directly answer your question but I entirely agree with this quote. Even now I feel like all I do is have these years of study yet I want to do something with it but don't know what and want to have days of service to help others yet I have a hard time finding opportunities. Slightly different scenario but the concept is the same. The youth learn from doing far better than just study. If you combine the two than you got a good church "program".

Responsibility with money.

Yard care for a widow or someone in need

Anything involving Sacrifice.

Show them how to use their years of study.

Trek was a good thing for the youth.

Also some church obstacle courses are fun.

Thats all I got at the moment.

These statements provide excellent options.

Edited by Anddenex