To those who are diabetic

pam

anatess My son and I tried paleo for awhile. My cholesterol went up so much that for the first time, my endo wanted me to take a statin (which I can't take because it increases my blood sugar). I don't have a huge issue with paleo (was on Mark's Daily Apple board and ran into a lot of former veg*ns), but I can't, and I don't think a lot of women can, eat the way the men do who follow it. I also found that, like a lot these programs, people worked very hard to make 'cheats' for the food they weren't eating, like pizza made from something other than pizza dough. I can't be bothered. Eat a piece of freaking pizza and be done with it. : )

I agree with you on the pizza! I don't do strict paleo only because my philosophy is holistic. I follow the paleo philosophy which matches my own philosophy - "eat only what my body is naturally designed to eat". Basically, I address nutrition as a whole body/mind/spirit thing and not the traditional problem/solution medical thing. So, for example, my children go to a holistic pediatrician. When they were babies and they get ear infection, I don't get prescribed antibiotics, instead, I get a nutrition plan for me (I was breastfeeding), rest, hand sanitizer, and garlic/willow eardrops. Yep! That's what my doctor would write in her prescription tablet!

So, when it comes to diet, my kids' doctor tell me whole foods and as much as possible, avoid food in the middle aisles of the grocery. Which, interestingly, correspond with paleo. I don't do pizza only because it takes too much work to make one. My meals are 30 minutes or less and involves the least prep/cooking possible!

So, cholesterol for me would not be addressed by taking statin off the bat (I'm so against prescription medicine and artificial chems that a life sentence to one would be very hard for me). I would have to go through a nutrition and lifestyle plan first to address it (well, after researching what is causing my cholesterol levels to be high and how that affects the rest of my body). I can still be on the paleo philosophy and still have a cholesterol-friendly, diabetic-friendly nutrition.

I used to grow my own stuff (aquaponic system in my backyard) but now I just buy produce from the farmers market.

And yeah, my dogs don't eat kibbles. They eat raw meat from the grocery... they're paleo too!

Edited by anatess