Home/Visiting Teachers

fsharp

Hello everyone,

I've been a member for a year and a half now and belong to a small singles ward. In church, people talk about visiting teaching and home teaching a lot. However, I have not had home or visiting teaching since my baptism in September 2012. I told the sister missionaries and they said that couldn't be right and asked them who my visiting and home teachers were and they said they would look into it. It appears as if they don't know and I really don't know who/how to ask for this. I think this would be really important for me to have because as a convert in a smaller ward it has been super difficult to fit into an already established group. I also want the opportunity to learn more about the gospel because I'm still trying to learn the basics of the Bible and D&C.

Thanks!

It appears as if they don't know and I really don't know who/how to ask for this.

Home Teaching/Visting teaching doesn't go through the missionaries (which is why they don't know). Visiting Teaching assignments are given by the Relief Society President, Home Teaching assignments are give by the Elder's Quorum President in a Young Single Adult Ward. You can also talk to the counselor's of the relevant presidency, they'll also be able to figure out who is assigned to you and if nobody is assigned, make sure that someone gets assigned.

If you don't know who is who you can sign into LDS.org, go to the directory (click on Your Name/Tools and look at the pop-down list) and you can have the directory display the leadership in your ward. If you don't have an LDS.org account and want one I'd be more than happy to tell you how to go about doing it (it's fairly straight forward, you just need your membership number which you'd ask the Ward Clerk to give you).

I also want the opportunity to learn more about the gospel because I'm still trying to learn the basics of the Bible and D&C.

Usually new members do a year of Gospel Principles and then switch over to Gospel Doctrine which does a four year rotation of: Book of Mormon, Doctrine and Covenants and Church History, Old Testament (which is what is scheduled for 2014), and New Testament. The manuals are all online so you can do self-study (they also pass out the relevant student manual at the start of the year). The beefier Institute of Religion manuals are also online if you want to go more in depth.

Gospel Doctrine Manuals: Sunday School Lesson Manuals

Institute of Religion Manuals: Courses and Manuals - LDS Institute

Edited by Dravin

I think I had visiting teachers once when I was in the singles ward, and the only interaction I had with a home teacher was awful. Singles wards were not my best experience in the church, unfortunately.

You'll probably find when you move to a family ward that people are more apt to take the time to do things like home and visiting teaching. I'm sorry you've been neglected where you are, but I doubt you're alone.

Signed,

Jaded former single in middle earth

In my experience (2 year convert in family ward), everyone is assigned a home teacher and a visiting teacher. It's the luck of the draw: good folks who will visit practically every month, and teachers who, for whatever reason, don't want to do it and never show up. I frankly think it would work better if the people who really don't want to do it would self-identify and take themselves out of program.

So, right now, I have a very diligent home teacher, and a visiting teacher whom I wouldn't recognize if she sat down next to me at church - I have mentioned this to home teacher supervisor, who says she must be busy (guess so). My first year it was the reverse.

I would try to get to know the members and let relationships build up naturally. If you haven't had the new member lessons you may want to ask about them.

I had a similar experience where I moved to a new branch and simply never got added to the home teaching lists. I figured my home teachers were just slackers and didn't realize what had happened until I got called to be a counselor in the elder's quorum and had to work on the list myself. I didn't really want to have home teachers, so I may have neglected to fix that oversight... >:)

Anyway, I would agree with the advice that's already been given. That is, talk to somebody in the elder's quorum and relief society presidencies to get home and visiting teachers assigned. I can't guarantee the people who are assigned to you will actually do their job, though typically converts get fairly reliable individuals assigned to them.

Anyway, good luck!