First Born Spirit Child Of Heavenly Parents

Stephen

by Jerry C. Giles

Fundamental to the teachings of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is the concept that all human beings were born as spirit sons and daughters of heavenly parents before any were born as mortals to earthly parents. Latter-day Saints believe that the eldest and firstborn spirit child of God is Jehovah and that it was he who was later born with a physical body to mary as Jesus Christ. That is, Jehovah of the Old Testament became Jesus Christ of the New Testament when he was born into mortality. The Psalmist refers to the Messiah as the firstborn (Ps. 89:27), and the apostle Paul speaks of Jesus as the "firstborn among many brethren" (Rom. 8:29; cf. Heb. 2:17) and as the "firstborn of every creature" (Col. 1:15). Perhaps the most authoritative statement on the subject is from the Savior himself, who declared to the Prophet Joseph Smith, "I was in the beginning with the Father, and am the Firstborn" (D&C 93:21; see also Church of the Firstborn). In 1909 the First Presidency of the Church declared:

The Father of Jesus is our Father also. Jesus Himself taught this truth, when He instructed His disciples how to pray: "Our Father which art in heaven," etc. Jesus, however, is the firstborn among all the sons of God—the first begotten in the spirit, and the only begotten in the flesh. He is our elder brother, and we, like Him, are in the image of God. All men and women are in the similitude of the universal Father and Mother, and are literally the sons and daughters of Deity [MFP 4:203].

Encyclopedia of Mormonism, Vol. 2, Jesus Christ, Firstborn in the Spirit

Copyright © 1992 by Macmillan Publishing Company

Peace claims that the Mormon Church does not teach that Jesus Christ is the first born spirit child of Heavenly Parents. She is either ignorant of this LDS doctrine or she is lying when she claims that it is not LDS doctrine. What she said is quoted in the following:

I have never heard of this doctrine and I have been in the church over 50 years. i was the Gospel doctrine teacher as well as having served on two missions.

If you are speaking about the...hymn by Snow.....would make reason stare....it has nothing to do with Christ being the first born....where does it say first born anywhere...I challenge you to come up with anything that uses the first born of Heavenly Father and mother....phrase anywhere...

You won't because First Born is referring to Spiritually begotten...meaning born-again...spiritually....

Every LDS reference brings begotten and fist born as the same thing when referring to Christ. There is the reference to  ' He is the Only Begotten of the Father in the flesh' but that would be the ONLY....begotten of the Father...not the First...

How do you reconcile First and ONLY?

Now...Maybe you should start studying the LDS scriptures again...

Maybe it is Peace who needs to attend her Sunday School classes and Ward meetings more often. :blink:

by Elder Bruce R. McConkie

Implicit in the Christian verity that all men are the spirit children of an Eternal Father is the usually unspoken truth that they are also the offspring of an Eternal Mother. An exalted and glorified Man of Holiness (Moses 6:57) could not be a Father unless a Woman of like glory, perfection, and holiness was associated with him as a Mother. The begetting of children makes a man a father and a woman a mother whether we are dealing with man in his mortal or immortal state.

This glorious truth of celestial parentage, including specifically both a Father and a Mother, is heralded forth by song in one of the greatest of Latter-day Saint hymns. O My Father by Eliza R. Snow, written in 1843, during the lifetime of the Prophet, includes this teaching:

In the heavens are parents single? No; the thought makes reason stare! Truth is reason, truth eternal, Tells me I've a Mother there.

When I leave this frail existence, When I lay this mortal by, Father, Mother, may I meet you In your royal courts on high?

Then, at length, when I've completed All you sent me forth to do, With your mutual approbation, Let me come and dwell with you.

Mortal persons who overcome all things and gain an ultimate exaltation will live eternally in the family unit and have spirit children, thus becoming Eternal Fathers and Eternal Mothers. (D. & C. 132:19-32.) Indeed, the formal pronouncement of the Church, issued by the First Presidency and the Council of the Twelve, states: "So far as the stages of eternal progression and attainment have been made known through divine revelation, we are to understand that only resurrected and glorified beings can become parents of spirit offspring." (Man: His Origin and Destiny, p. 129.)

Mormon Doctrine, p.517

Copyright by Bookcraft

End Quote

Peace claims that the Mormon Church does not teach that Jesus Christ is the first born spirit child of Heavenly Parents. She is either ignorant of this LDS doctrine or she is lying when she claims that it is not LDS doctrine

As Peace explained earlier, it isn't a doctrine, per se. It is a belief.

However, I think that most LDS members would indeed grant anyone that it is a widely accepted LDS belief. Debating over whether it is this or an offical doctrine is pretty silly.

It may be more useful to ask if there is a member of the LDS church, here, that does not believe that there is a Heavenly Mother or that Jesus's spirit was conceived by his Heavenly Parents. If so, speak up and also please include some scripture or reasoning as to why you do not beleive this to be so.

Also, any non-member who believes that this doctrine, belief etc contradicts scripture, then he or she may want to take this opportunity to post as well.

broadway

Originally posted by broadway@Mar 30 2004, 12:50 PM

Peace claims that the Mormon Church does not teach that Jesus Christ is the first born spirit child of Heavenly Parents. She is either ignorant of this LDS doctrine or she is lying when she claims that it is not LDS doctrine

As Peace explained earlier, it isn't a doctrine, per se. It is a belief.

However, I think that most LDS members would indeed grant anyone that it is a widely accepted LDS belief. Debating over whether it is this or an offical doctrine is pretty silly.

It may be more useful to ask if there is a member of the LDS church, here, that does not believe that there is a Heavenly Mother or that Jesus's spirit was conceived by his Heavenly Parents. If so, speak up and also please include some scripture or reasoning as to why you do not beleive this to be so.

Also, any non-member who believes that this doctrine, belief etc contradicts scripture, then he or she may want to take this opportunity to post as well.

broadway

Since it has been taught in the LDS Church for over a hundred years in General Conferences and in other LDS literature it is indeed LDS doctrine.