Dating

Annabelli

The problems that I had encountered with young girls wanting to date my sons was not a sexual issue. Girls 12-15 years of age frequently are asking boys for "gifts." It's not a trophy thing but just greed. Their relationships are nothing more than a school yard flirt. That flirt has nothing to do with kissing, hand holding or hugging.

What do parents think when their daughters bring home these gifts (cd's, t-shirts, earrings, etc.)?

From age 16 through high school graduation, there are kids (boys or girls) who target kids who work. Kids who date and both are employed are generally more considerate about spending money.

It's okay to pay for a movie ticket once in a while or split a pizza.

I have been very challenged as a parent as to dealing with this very popular trend. Thus far "NO" was the only answer and it seems to work until they have a "steadydate" relationship. Then it's back to square one and gifts.

Well as a fellow teenager (Don't hold it against me :sparklygrin: ), and who also has a 16 year old sister, I try my utmost best to make sure that this never occurs in the first place...... Make sure no BOY ever gets their hands on her :commando::nosign::D

In terms with the gifts, I'm sure that parents definitely are suspicious as to where certain things have come from and have taken evasive maneuvers to offset it. Just Be worried if your daughter all of a sudden has a 62 inch plasma in her room :wow:

Just make sure that you have everything thought before approaching a daughter about it.

Acez

I would tend to agree, for some girls, it is about manipulating boys into doing what they want. They learn early how to do certain things or act certain in order to get boys to do their bidding. It's also not a healthy way to go through life, for the boy or the girl.

As for the gifts, if her parents don't notice them, she either hides them, which is another sign of a problem, or they aren't paying attention to what's going on.

What the parents of these 12-15 y/o boys? Am I missing something here, or where are these boys coming up with the money for these things? They most likely don't have a job, so they are mooching off their parents. Are the parents just not taking any accountably to what they are giving their kids money for?

• 6 months later...

As a 16 year old girl, I receive gifts from boys every now and then(holidays, birthday, even sometimes just because) I consider it a nice gesture and thank the boys for what they give me. My mom likes to hear about what I get, while my dad usually wonders why they're giving it to me(thats a usual dad thing though), but either way they don't really mind that I'm getting them. I'm sure the situation would be different if I was asking for the presents but seeing as I'm not, they don't object. And I have a younger brother, in the grade below me, who knows the boys so when my dad has any questions he just goes to Bryan.