A Very Happy Passover to Each of You

Aish HaTorah

I realize that Pesach (Passover) is not a part of your regular liturgical year, but I'd like to wish each of you a very happy and fruitful week.  Pesach isn't for another week (18 minutes to sundown in Friday the 22nd), but I am so excited that I couldn't wait!

This week prior to Pesach will be a time for us to clean our homes as well as our lives.  To reflect on the past and honor our ancestors.  To walk with the people through all ages who are on the same journey with us.

The week of Pesach is a time for us to remember the endless effort which freedom demands from all those who desire to be free.  It keeps us from forgetting that the ugly fetters of slavery come in many forms, enveloping the spirit as well as the body.  As in every generation from Adam and Eve to this, we too must invite all children of G-d to share the journey with us.  To help one another, to serve one another, and to open our doors so that all may rejoice in freedom.

I wish all of you a very happy and fruitful Passover season.

Guest MormonGator
11 minutes ago, Aish HaTorah said:

I realize that Pesach (Passover) is not a part of your regular liturgical year, but I'd like to wish each of you a very happy and fruitful week.  Pesach isn't for another week (18 minutes to sundown in Friday the 22nd), but I am so excited that I couldn't wait!

This week prior to Pesach will be a time for us to clean our homes as well as our lives.  To reflect on the past and honor our ancestors.  To walk with the people through all ages who are on the same journey with us.

The week of Pesach is a time for us to remember the endless effort which freedom demands from all those who desire to be free.  It keeps us from forgetting that the ugly fetters of slavery come in many forms, enveloping the spirit as well as the body.  As in every generation from Adam and Eve to this, we too must invite all children of G-d to share the journey with us.  To help one another, to serve one another, and to open our doors so that all may rejoice in freedom.

And may G-d bless you too! 

1 hour ago, Aish HaTorah said:

The best to you, too.

We Saints don't have a "liturgical year". We celebrate Easter because it's the whole point of Christianity (If a man die, shall he live again? Job 14:14a), and Christmas (but do not believe it is truly His birthday – many of us see that as being nearly coincidental with Passover). Aside from that, General Conference serves us for Succoth and Pesach.

Lehi

Edited by LeSellers

17 minutes ago, LeSellers said:

General Conference serves us for Succoth and Pesach.

Totally aside, while we do not refer to it as Succoth and Pesach, I, personally, see General Conference to be the modern version of the feasts. There are two (at least) events in the Book of Mormon that are clearly the Nephites celebrating one or the other of these feasts. First is in the early part of the history, when the Priest/Teacher Jacob calls the people to the Temple for instruction. The second is when King (and Priest) Benjamin does the same thing. Each is in the first few chapters of Jacob and Mosiah, respectively.

Lehi

21 hours ago, Aish HaTorah said:

Thank you, I hope that it was Good fo you as well!. Thank you for sharing what it means, it would be a good tradition to pick up.

Every year at this time, the chore...er, I mean creative blessing...rears its grinning head.

What new and interesting things can we do with matzo to keep the kiddos interested.  They have (kindly) provided me a list of some of the more innovative (risky?) recipes we tried last year that were not so much a hit.  (Suffice it to say that even the dog was tired of eating matzo by the end of the week. :D)  There are a few staples - matzo ball soup, matzo pizza, matzo lasagna, etc.  I am determined to add more this year!  I will do it.  I will.

Perhaps I will avoid matzo all together this year (other than the obligatory eating for the seder meal) and embrace other family favorites.  Stuffed veal, brisket, pear puree, macaroons, farfel puffs, walnut torte, and, of course, gefilte fish.  NO chopped liver and easy on the plums, please.

1 hour ago, Aish HaTorah said:

Perhaps I will avoid matzo all together this year (other than the obligatory eating for the seder meal) and embrace other family favorites.  Stuffed veal, brisket, pear puree, macaroons, farfel puffs, walnut torte, and, of course, gefilte fish.  NO chopped liver and easy on the plums, please.

We tried matzo for a Seder. It's truly a sacrifice. (And I'm not sure ours was Passover compliant.)

Gefilte fish is Yiddish, not biblical, and I can't comment on it at all. It never sounded appetizing, but, meh, whudeyeno?

Lehi

Edited by LeSellers

14 minutes ago, LeSellers said:

We tried matzo for a Seder. It's truly a sacrifice. (And I;m not sure ours was Passover compliant.)

Gefilte fish is Yiddish, not biblical, and I can't comment on it at all. It never sounded appetizing, but, meh, whudeyeno?

Lehi

1) Not all matzo is created equal.  There is matzo that is kosher, but not kosher for Passover.  :)

2) Gefilte fish should be biblical, IMHO.  My children would heartily disagree.  :D