God and America: Yesterday at the Jefferson Memorial

tesuji

My family is visiting Washington DC, and we stopped at the Jefferson Memorial yesterday. A very moving place.

My wife and I both got choked up reading the preamble from the Declaration of Independence: "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights."

I also noted the following on a facing wall:

"God who gave us life gave us liberty. Can the liberties of a nation be secure when we have removed a conviction that these liberties are the gift of God? Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just, even that his justice cannot sleep forever."

Is there any doubt that Jefferson was one of the principle people the Lord referred to when he said:

It is not right that any man should be in bondage one to another.

And for this purpose have I established the Constitution of this land, by the hands of wise men whom I raised up unto this very purpose, and redeemed the land by the shedding of blood.

D&C 101:80
https://www.lds.org/scriptures/dc-testament/dc/101.80

jefferson.jpg

188px-Jefferson_Memorial_with_Declaratio

Quotations on the Jefferson Memorial
https://www.monticello.org/site/jefferson/quotations-jefferson-memorial

Edited by tesuji

I find it amusing on one level and unconscionable on another that so many people are convinced that Jefferson was either an atheist or a Deist.  Neither was true.  Just like most of the founders, as flawed as he was as an individual human being, he was a man of God.

15 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

I find it amusing on one level and unconscionable on another that so many people are convinced that Jefferson was either an atheist or a Deist.  Neither was true.  Just like most of the founders, as flawed as he was as an individual human being, he was a man of God.

They're presentists. Ignore em

:)