Working Full Time

sharyll

I have struggled most of my married life with having to work and wanting to stay home. I have worked part-time which has allowed me to be at home with my son as much as I possibly can. Slowly things have improved for my husband and I finacially until we had a huge set back with my husband getting in trouble with work "Navy" and due to this he lost pay probably be home the remainder of his naval career (18 months or so). We are now struggling again. We just bought a house which my husband wanted and I am struggling with that decision. Since he is the head of the family, I am letting him make this decision hoping this will be good for the family even though I worry about the financial part. Because of my worry and concerns about past maritial issues I started looking for full-time work. Well I got offered several interviews and actually did interview for one. I was offered the job today. However due to some things that happened at the interview I chose not to take the job. When I had left the interview I felt this would not be a good fit and chose to turn down the job. Well now I am wondering if I made the right choice. I think maybe I was suppose to take it. This is all based on fiancial issues. I did not like the attitude of the boss, I didn't like the amount of workload I would be expected to carry which would have met many extra hours after work as well as how clingy my son has been with me even going back to work. I felt awful leaving him for work when we have been home all summer together. Anyway, have you struggled with this and what have you done with uncertain feelings?

We just bought a house which my husband wanted and I am struggling with that decision. Since he is the head of the family, I am letting him make this decision hoping this will be good for the family even though I worry about the financial part.

So, you didnt want to buy the house but your husband did. Arent couples supposed to make the decisions together? I dont agree with this head of the family business because then things like this happen. My husband and I are equals and make decisions together. He is no more head of me than I am of him. It sounds like your husband hasnt really considered what you want from this situation. It sounds like more an issue with yours and his communication-tell me, if you didnt buy this house, would you have been able to stay at home with your son?

You were right to pass on that job. The long hours and additional responsibility would have created a wave of stress in your personal life. Sometimes when you pass up a bad opportunity (or a quick fix), the right and good opportunity will come your way.

Making an appointment and seeking council from the financial counselor will not hurt your husband's problems but it will show that he is making a conscious effort to make better decisions about his life.

There are also clergy that you should go see depending on your faith.

Talk to your family. After buying a house, you may feel embarrassed to discuss these things with them, but they will want to know.

You are making good observations about what you need and taking care of your child is a priority.

I will keep you and your family in my prayers. I look forward to hearing from you again.

• 2 years later...