Be Ye Therefore [a] Perfect[ionist]

To His followers, both in Galilee and among the Nephites, Jesus gave a lofty command—to be perfect. King Benjamin urges us to "consider on the blessed and happy state of those that keep the commandments of God." But for many who seriously seek for perfection, they would more likely say, "Consider on the stressful and frazzled state of those who strive to keep this commandment." Why? Heavenly Father's commandments are meant to bring peace and happiness. Why does the commandment to be perfect tend to bring anxiety and insecurity instead? I believe it's because, in many cases, we are missing the mark. We're reading this commandment incorrectly in two different ways. 1. Be Ye Therefore [a] Perfect[ionist]   Instead of seeing this commandment as God's ultimate desire for His beloved children—what He wants to transform us into so we can receive all that He has—we tend to read it instead as the prerequisite for worthiness to return to His presence. In other words, we feel that our worth is based on being perfect (the definition of perfectionism). We hang our...

View the full article

Something that has helped me is recognizing that "perfect" is not defined now as it always has been. We hear "perfect" and we think that it means without any mistake. From the 1828 Webster's Dictionary:

PER'FECT, adjective [Latin perfectus, perficio, to complete; per and facio, to do or make through, to carry to the end.]

1. Finished; complete; consummate; not defective; having all that is requisite to its nature and kind; as a perfect statue; a perfect likeness; a perfect work; aperfect system.

I can be made perfect in Christ. He will make me whole, finished, complete. Though I am flawed and make mistakes, in Him I will have all that is requisite. 

3 hours ago, Eowyn said:

Something that has helped me is recognizing that "perfect" is not defined now as it always has been. We hear "perfect" and we think that it means without any mistake. From the 1828 Webster's Dictionary:

PER'FECT, adjective [Latin perfectus, perficio, to complete; per and facio, to do or make through, to carry to the end.]

1. Finished; complete; consummate; not defective; having all that is requisite to its nature and kind; as a perfect statue; a perfect likeness; a perfect work; aperfect system.

I can be made perfect in Christ. He will make me whole, finished, complete. Though I am flawed and make mistakes, in Him I will have all that is requisite. 

I strongly prefer this standard!