Can We Covet and Still Have an Attitude of Gratitude?

"Comparison is the thief of joy," said the late President Teddy Roosevelt (and just about every poster in my high school English classrooms). Even though I've heard this quote approximately 40 billion times (only a slight exaggeration), it still rings true to me because it's honestly pretty obvious when you break it down: when we compare, we're jealous. And when we're filled with jealousy, we're certainly not happy. I recently had a friend pose a question that caused me a great deal of introspection: can we have an attitude of gratitude and still be envious of others? My knee-jerk reaction was "Of course. I'm a pretty grateful person, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't kill for Sandra Bullock's jawline." Okay, disclaimer: I wouldn't actually kill for it. But you get the point. After thinking about it a little more, I realized that having an attitude of gratitude is being grateful for what you do have, not jealous of or upset about what you don't have. So my final answer, Regis, is no. We...

View the full article