Plural sealings in today's world

On 4/5/2017 at 9:54 AM, person0 said:

Ummm. . .

If the marriage covenant is eternal, and you enter into the marriage covenant with more than one person, then you have 2 eternal marriage covenants.

1 Eternal Spouse + 1 Eternal Spouse = 2 Eternal Spouses = Eternal Plural Marriage

D&C 132 does not explain it that specifically, it does not say "Eternal Plural Marriage".  When recent prophets are asked these questions, this is what they say; "

Sealings. Former Utah senator Jake Garn was reluctant to remarry following the death of his first wife, Hazel, in 1976, but he soon realized that he could not be both a father and a mother to his children. When he began dating Kathleen Brewerton, who would become his second wife, questions soon arose about how his first wife would feel should he become sealed to a second wife. The couple took their questions to President Spencer W. Kimball.

He said he did not know exactly how these relationships will be worked out, but he did know that through faithfulness all will be well and we will have much joy. Brother Garn later recalled. Kathleen told him that she was afraid of offending Hazel. President Kimball's demeanor seemed to change. From being somewhat hesitant in his earlier answers, he now became sure and spoke with firmness. He looked right at Kathleen and with a tear forming in his eye, he said, "I do know this: you have nothing to worry about. Not only will she accept you, she will put her arms around you and thank you for raising her children" (Jake Garn, Why I Believe [1992], 13)."  ...and ...

"Family members need not worry about the sealing situation of blended families as it might be in the next life. Our concern is to live the gospel now and to love others, especially those in our family. If we live the gospel to the best of our ability, the Lord in His love and mercy will bless us in the next life and all things will be right.

I have seen some new blended families become torn apart by worrying about who will belong to whom and who will be with whom in the next life. My mother, who is sealed to my deceased father, is married to a widower who is sealed to his first wife, who died childless. My mother and her second husband have a son, who is my brother. We are not concerned about who will be sealed to whom. We simply trust in the Lord's wisdom and love and try to live righteously. . . . ("Uniting Blended Families," by Robert E. Wells, Ensign, Aug. 1997, p. 24)"

Even in D&C 132 it says; "66 And now, as pertaining to this law, verily, verily, I say unto you, I will reveal more unto you, hereafter; therefore, let this suffice for the present."  That is at the end of the chapter right after the section on plural marriage so there is no claim to this being an "Eternal" plural marriage. 

Let me ask you something, if a man in this life lives plural marriage, lets say with 10 wives but then breaks his covenant, becomes unworthy of it, what will happen to the 10 wives.  Will they be given to one man or will they be divided and given to 10 different worthy men? Of course we don't know but would you say that it is possible that the 10 wives be given to 10 different worthy men?  If yes, than it is certainly possible that every earthly plural marriage would be so divided. But keeping in mind that within the Celestial Kingdom all are sealed to each other, there is no break with the sealing of eternal families within the Celesital Kingdom, so all is good.

8 hours ago, Eydis said:

Let me ask you something, if a man in this life lives plural marriage, lets say with 10 wives but then breaks his covenant, becomes unworthy of it, what will happen to the 10 wives.  Will they be given to one man or will they be divided and given to 10 different worthy men? Of course we don't know but would you say that it is possible that the 10 wives be given to 10 different worthy men?  If yes, than it is certainly possible that every earthly plural marriage would be so divided. But keeping in mind that within the Celestial Kingdom all are sealed to each other, there is no break with the sealing of eternal families within the Celesital Kingdom, so all is good.

The Doctrine and Covenants already answers this question, to a point, section 132: 39, "David’s wives and concubines were given unto him of me, by the hand of Nathan, my servant, and others of the prophets who had the keys of this power; and in none of these things did he sin against me save in the case of Uriah and his wife; and, therefore he hath fallen from his exaltation, and received his portion; and he shall not inherit them out of the world, for I gave them unto another, saith the Lord." (emphasis added)

David's wives were given unto another. Another could mean "one", another could mean "two", another could mean more than. The scripture is clear from the Lord's words, "I gave them unto another."

"If yes, than it is certainly possible that every earthly plural marriage would be so divided."

The caveat is only if a person lives "unworthy" of it. If a person is worthy and has lived worthily, there is no scripture specifying they are given unto another. There is scripture for those who have lived unworthy of it. In the Celestial Kingdom I am not "sealed" to my brother's wife, not even sure how this is even given as an option from revealed truths.