Safe Water Storage

onyx

Hi Folks,

I've looked at the the forums and I'm just not sure where to put this thread.

If its in the wrong place mods, please relocate it.

I have a question about the safe storage of water.

If anyone can advise please do.

I was recently told that water should not be stored in plastic containers.

The reason being that chemicals from the plastic can leech into the water over time.

This leeching process apparently makes the water harmful.

This is reportedly the case especially when temperatures change causing the plastic to expand and contract.

Has anyone heard of this before?

Can anyone confirm this?

If this is the case...does anyone have any ideas for safe water storage??

Thanks for your input....Onyx

Hi Folks,

I've looked at the the forums and I'm just not sure where to put this thread.

If its in the wrong place mods, please relocate it.

I have a question about the safe storage of water.

If anyone can advise please do.

I was recently told that water should not be stored in plastic containers.

The reason being that chemicals from the plastic can leech into the water over time.

This leeching process apparently makes the water harmful.

This is reportedly the case especially when temperatures change causing the plastic to expand and contract.

Has anyone heard of this before?

Can anyone confirm this?

If this is the case...does anyone have any ideas for safe water storage??

Thanks for your input....Onyx

Any experienced welfare storage people out there?

Look for food safe containers. A water butt used for storing rainwater won't be food safe, nor will that 55 gallon oil drum you picked up from the junkyard. :D

If a container is labelled as food safe, bad things happen to the company should it be proven that it is NOT food safe, so a good quality, food-safe container is your best option. Unless you want to look into rainwater harvesting, with particle filtration, UV sterilisation, reverse osmosis system for chemical removal, and a portable generator to power it all.

I try to store as many foods as possible that do not need water, canned beans vrs dried beans, canned soups, canned juice etc. I see no reason that we cannot store a case of drinking water packaged by the mfg. After all, it's going to be recycled throughout the year. I do store pantry goods like flour, sugar, spices...etc. I will not use 400# of wheat this year, next year, so why have a rotting food storage? That seems pretty useless.

You should never recycle plastic milk jugs because the bacteria can never be removed and the jugs break down over time. I know that water storage for hygiene is very important as well as drinking and cooking. I recycle 2 lt soda bottles and liquid detergent bottles, rinse them, and fill with tap water. We have so many chemicals in our city water that there is not an immediate concern about storage. A lot of people use this type of water storage when they go primitive camping and for RV traveling.

There are water treatment kits for purifying fresh water (lake/river water). There is no guarantee that you will have the means to boil water to purify it in times of an emergency.

Although it is not appealing to think of drinking water out of a detergent bottle, I would wash my hands with it.

• 2 years later...