Murmuring: Complaining or Venting?

What's Wrong? Feel like complaining? You ever have one of those days? I'm talking about those I-want-to-light-something-on-fire days. We all have. At the end of the day, when we say our prayers, the last thing we want to do is to thank God for anything. We only really feel like complaining. We all remember those gratitude talks that praise the virtues of being thankful. All we want to do though is complain to God about how hard our day was. Is this wrong? Of course, we have so many scriptures that tell us not to murmur, but what does that even mean? Some psychologists out there say we need to vent to get out our emotional anguish but is that murmuring? Luckily, we have Laman, Lemuel, and Nephi to help us figure it out. Complaining First, let's talk about complaining. To complain can mean to express grief, or to accuse something or someone. This might be like when I complain about getting a small donut at the donut shop. This is like when that wonderful brother cuts us off in traffic and then...

View the full article