"unto The Renewing Of Their Bodies"

Guest tomk

Guest moreholinessgiveme

D&C 84:33 For whoso is faithful unto the obtaining these two priesthoods of which I have spoken, and the magnifying their calling, are sanctified by the Spirit unto the renewing of their bodies.

"...unto the renewing of their bodies."

Is there an official Church statement on what this means?

I've read elsewhere that this is a reference to the translated state.

Did John the Beloved and the 3 Nephites receive this "renewing of their bodies" -- such that they would "not taste of death" -- tarry here on the earth until the Second Coming?

Guest moreholinessgiveme

Promise 1. We Will Be Sanctified by the Spirit. Note these words:

“For whoso is faithful unto the obtaining these two priesthoods of which I have spoken [Aaronic and Melchizedek Priesthood], and the magnifying their calling, are sanctified by the Spirit unto the renewing of their bodies.” (D&C 84:33.)

On one occasion, President Hugh B. Brown testified that President David O. McKay had been sanctified by the Spirit unto the renewing of his body. And, he added, “Some of the rest of us are better off today than we were many years ago so far as physical health is concerned—and we attribute that fact to [the Lord’s] blessing.” (In Conference Report, Apr. 1963, p. 90.)

Many of us have felt the influence of this “renewal promise.” Without it, scores of our assignments might have gone unfinished.

taken from:

http://www.lds.org/portal/site/LDSOrg/menu..._&hideNav=1

I agree that it can mean the strength to fulfill our callings. I look at Pres. Hinckley and see the promise of this blessing. Of course his body is winding down but I don't doubt if needed he would find renewed strength. In fact at the dedication of the Omaha Temple he opened with a very weak voice and could barely speak. As he began the dedicatory prayer his voice grew deep and you could see the strength return as he spoke and he spoke with great power. I think this is an example of what that means.

Guest moreholinessgiveme

I agree that it can mean the strength to fulfill our callings. I look at Pres. Hinckley and see the promise of this blessing. Of course his body is winding down but I don't doubt if needed he would find renewed strength. In fact at the dedication of the Omaha Temple he opened with a very weak voice and could barely speak. As he began the dedicatory prayer his voice grew deep and you could see the strength return as he spoke and he spoke with great power. I think this is an example of what that means.

It does seem to mean "as you wear-out your bodies in my service, while on my errand, you are entitled to have your bodies renewed and energized -- such that you can continue serving me in love." -- something to that effect.

Translation would seem to be the ultimate renewing -- second only to a full resurrection.

It does seem to mean "as you wear-out your bodies in my service, while on my errand, you are entitled to have your bodies renewed and energized -- such that you can continue serving me in love." -- something to that effect.

Translation would seem to be the ultimate renewing -- second only to a full resurrection.

I'm not sure but everytime I read your name that Hymn gets stuck in my head. :D But that's not a bad thing. I love that Hymn.

President Hinckley would certainly be an example of your hypothesis.