• 1 month later...

I love to dance!! And in my day, I could jitterbug with the best of them... now I can picture some of you young'uns out there saying... Huh? Jitterbug :blink: Think Big Band era with Tommy Dorsey, Benny Goodman, Glenn Miller... I also grew up in the Doo-Wop era... the beginning of Rock N Roll when our folks thought we were lost for sure... but it was innocent fun... What could be more innocent than "See Ya Later Allegator...After While Crocodile" or Sha-Boom, Sha Boom...

It's been years since I've been to a dance, but I can't believe the way teens dance these days... it's jaw-dropping to see them bump and grind... and definitely NOT LDS... I assume young adults dance "modestly."

What to wear to a dance? Something modest and not body clinging... Sparkles? In good taste...

Have fun... The Garden Girl

I love to dance!! And in my day, I could jitterbug with the best of them... now I can picture some of you young'uns out there saying... Huh? Jitterbug :blink: Think Big Band era with Tommy Dorsey, Benny Goodman, Glenn Miller... I also grew up in the Doo-Wop era... the beginning of Rock N Roll when our folks thought we were lost for sure... but it was innocent fun... What could be more innocent than "See Ya Later Allegator...After While Crocodile" or Sha-Boom, Sha Boom...

It's been years since I've been to a dance, but I can't believe the way teens dance these days... it's jaw-dropping to see them bump and grind... and definitely NOT LDS... I assume young adults dance "modestly."

What to wear to a dance? Something modest and not body clinging... Sparkles? In good taste...

Ah the days of real music! I love to listen to Brian Setzer or the Squirrel Nut Zippers now. When we lived in Socal we would go to the Queen Mary and listen to the Big Bands play and dance our legs off. <sigh> Those were the days!

Dr. Mom... I hear ya... wasn't the music great... and songs had real lyrics... remember all those romantic songs... and how each dance would have the "last dance," usually Goodnight, Sweetheart.

I'm glad for and welcome the many good ways we have progressed in society... medicine, science, technology, etc., but I think there is a "spirit" that is missing from younger people today that they don't understand that we had. I don't necessarily want to go backward, but I do miss some aspects of "the good old days." I think the standards/activities/family values of the Church come closest to what I'm referring to, but society in general seems to be lacking. That's just my opinion.

And today's dancing and music plays a part of that...

Garden Girl

Dr. Mom... I hear ya... wasn't the music great... and songs had real lyrics... remember all those romantic songs... and how each dance would have the "last dance," usually Goodnight, Sweetheart.

I'm glad for and welcome the many good ways we have progressed in society... medicine, science, technology, etc., but I think there is a "spirit" that is missing from younger people today that they don't understand that we had. I don't necessarily want to go backward, but I do miss some aspects of "the good old days." I think the standards/activities/family values of the Church come closest to what I'm referring to, but society in general seems to be lacking. That's just my opinion.

Garden Girl

You couldn't be closer to reality, GG. Today's kids are part of the "it's mine now" era. I remember having to work for the things I wanted. Layaway was a gift from the heavens! Now if kids want something, especially if it's expensive, they slap a credit card down and get it because if they wait until they have the cash the item will be obsolete and the next newest item will always be more expensive than the funds they have. I remember when holding hands meant something. Hubby and I still hold hands everywhere, but we're considered old now. Society is lacking the manners, the respect and the desire to never settle for second best. I could go on and on, but you know the rest. And to think it's only going to get worse...

You are right... when Aug rolled around, the stores were showing fall clothes and my sis and I would go shopping with Mom and we'd each get two or three new sweater/skirt outfits on LAY-AWAY (thanks for the chuckle... kids today think LayAway? What's that??). By time the the weather cooled, we'd finished paying for our clothes. Are you too young or do you remember how our sweaters/skirts matched, and we wore white bucks with colored socks to match our skirts... The goal was to dress as "sharp" as we could... I remember carrying a little pouch filled with white powder that came with our bucks, and if we got a scuff we would powder it out... Ha! I can see some of the gals scratching their head... huh?

I didn't own a poodle skirt... but wore a pony tail...

Every year one of our special dances was called the Twin Sweater Dance... sponsored by Hi-Tri (YWCA service club). The girls asked the boys, and we wore the same color sweaters... held the dance in the gym...

Every month at school there was a special dance of some type... Valentine's Ball, sock hops, homecoming, Christmas Ball, Spring Fling etc., culminating with the Jr.-Sr. Prom... for the prom we always had a "name" band... it was always competition to see which school could get the biggest name band... we had Ray Anthony, Harry James and Ben Pollack my three years in H.S. Dancing was very much a part of our lives...

What a fun memory... Garden Girl

You are right... when Aug rolled around, the stores were showing fall clothes and my sis and I would go shopping with Mom and we'd each get two or three new sweater/skirt outfits on LAY-AWAY (thanks for the chuckle... kids today think LayAway? What's that??). By time the the weather cooled, we'd finished paying for our clothes. Are you too young or do you remember how our sweaters/skirts matched, and we wore white bucks with colored socks to match our skirts... The goal was to dress as "sharp" as we could... I remember carrying a little pouch filled with white powder that came with our bucks, and if we got a scuff we would powder it out... Ha! I can see some of the gals scratching their head... huh?

I didn't own a poodle skirt... but wore a pony tail...

Every year one of our special dances was called the Twin Sweater Dance... sponsored by Hi-Tri (YWCA service club). The girls asked the boys, and we wore the same color sweaters... held the dance in the gym...

Every month at school there was a special dance of some type... Valentine's Ball, sock hops, homecoming, Christmas Ball, Spring Fling etc., culminating with the Jr.-Sr. Prom... for the prom we always had a "name" band... it was always competition to see which school could get the biggest name band... we had Ray Anthony, Harry James and Ben Pollack my three years in H.S. Dancing was very much a part of our lives...

What a fun memory... Garden Girl

I'm smiling big. I remember! For the record, I still do the pony tail thing.

I'm smiling big. I remember! For the record, I still do the pony tail thing.

For the record, I'm too young to remember any of that firsthand. When Neil Armstrong was walking on the moon, I was making an equally precarious (and graceful) journey across my parent's living room.

Nonetheless, I grew up on the music and especially the values- who says growing up in a small, backwater town is a bad thing?

The first record I wore out was Bill Haley and the Comets- Rock Around the Clock- and IIRC, the flip-side (explain that to anyone under 35!) was Rockin' Robin.

And swing-dancing is on the upswing (yes, bad pun). My sixteen, and eighteen year olds both swing dance with their beau's)- though I keep the shotgun handy.

As I've explained to the boys on more than one occasion- "I AM The Law."

And, just in case, I'm on good working terms with every Marine recruiter west of the Mississippi River.

For the record, I'm too young to remember any of that firsthand. When Neil Armstrong was walking on the moon, I was making an equally precarious (and graceful) journey across my parent's living room.

Nonetheless, I grew up on the music and especially the values- who says growing up in a small, backwater town is a bad thing?

The first record I wore out was Bill Haley and the Comets- Rock Around the Clock- and IIRC, the flip-side (explain that to anyone under 35!) was Rockin' Robin.

And swing-dancing is on the upswing (yes, bad pun). My sixteen, and eighteen year olds both swing dance with their beau's)- though I keep the shotgun handy.

As I've explained to the boys on more than one occasion- "I AM The Law."

And, just in case, I'm on good working terms with every Marine recruiter west of the Mississippi River.

ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!!! Why do you sound eerily familiar??? Someone in my stake says the exact same things as you.....hmmm

Garden Girl

At my old stake dances, 'Goodnight, Sweetheart' was usually still the last song...

I don't like the dances they have up here at BYU-Idaho that much, practically no slow songs at all. And they're the only ones I'm halfway decent at!

I am quite familiar with the Jitterbug, Garden Girl. :) My grandmother was one heck of a dancer! Pity I didn't get some of her dance genetics. *LOL* I can play the flute with the best of them but can't get my feet to move properly. ;)

This is when you dance with your arms wrapped around each other. The rule at our stake dances was for the girl to put one hand on the guy's shoulder, hold his hand with your other hand, and his other hand goes on the girl's waist, leaving some space between you. :)

Isn't that the way you are supposed to dance anyways. I mean how else can you twirl to girl if one hand isnt free.

Isn't that the way you are supposed to dance anyways. I mean how else can you twirl to girl if one hand isnt free.

Yeah, that is the way you're supposed to dance, but the youth would make the slow dances an opportunity to hug and sway until it wasn't dancing anymore, but upright making-out. :lol: I remember thinking how I would love to be a chaperone when I grew up when this lady had to tell this girl to get off her boyfriend's lap. I think a lot of the girls were really clueless about how certain things made boys feel. I remember dancing with this one guy who kept pulling me closer and closer to him. I kept trying to back-up and then he pulled me all the way against him and uhhhhh ... He was enjoying the dancing a little too much. I didn't dance with him again.

:)

I majored in music education back when I was in college in Georgia. I was 5 classes from my degree when my ex and I got pregnant with my daughter and I had to drop out of school. I regret not going back to finish that degree, but I have since graduated from a different school with a degree in criminal justice. Sadly I couldn't complete my music degree online and I couldn't take the time off of work to go back to school. So I chose criminal justice, which I could do completely online. ;)