Help Me Find This Quote

curtisheidi

I have not been able to find a quote that I read some time ago and was hoping maybe someone here could help--I'm quite sure it was said by either a prophet or apostle, but at least 10 years ago... the gist of it is about how important it is who we call to teach the Primary children. He said that we should not call members who are struggling with their testimonies, or maybe not even new members. I remember he says that if someone says something in priesthood or Relief Society that is not doctrinally correct, they will be told so there; but in Primary the children believe everything they are told by their teacher. It's a great quote about how valuable our children are and how important the role of Primary teacher is--how important it is that we have strong, devoted members teaching the Gospel to these young future members of the Church.

Please let me know if you know who said this and where I can find it!!

I have not been able to find a quote that I read some time ago and was hoping maybe someone here could help--I'm quite sure it was said by either a prophet or apostle, but at least 10 years ago... the gist of it is about how important it is who we call to teach the Primary children. He said that we should not call members who are struggling with their testimonies, or maybe not even new members. I remember he says that if someone says something in priesthood or Relief Society that is not doctrinally correct, they will be told so there; but in Primary the children believe everything they are told by their teacher. It's a great quote about how valuable our children are and how important the role of Primary teacher is--how important it is that we have strong, devoted members teaching the Gospel to these young future members of the Church.

Please let me know if you know who said this and where I can find it!!

There is an inservice training video that was available to Primary leaders about 12 years ago called Behold Your Little Ones, it had some quotes that may be close to that. Also, a talk by President Hinckley, Behold Your Little Ones, may also be helpful. There was also an interview with Sister Shumway when she was the General Primary President that stated the following:

"Primary also has a strong inservice program to train Primary teachers in teaching skills. With so many new converts and young mothers, their first call often is to teach in the Primary.

Ensign: Are there any difficulties presented by having inexperienced teachers involved in teaching children?

Sister Shumway: No. We trust the inspiration of the bishops. One area of concern, of course, is that when any teacher doesn’t understand a gospel principle, the child usually can’t correct her. Instead, he’ll believe her. So we think it’s very important that new teachers get the best orientation possible to assure that they always teach correct doctrine. "

Hope this helps.