Bct Question

~Sarah~

Hello everybody! I'm Sarah. I'm 23 years old, I've been married for 3 1/2 years, no kids. And I just enlisted in the Army! Yay!

I'm really excited. I have a question tho, about garments at BCT. I was wondering if any current or former military folks, or the spouse of one, could tell me if they think it's better to get the military garments, or use the regular ones. Any advice would be great! Thanks so much!

~Sarah~

Hello everybody! I'm Sarah. I'm 23 years old, I've been married for 3 1/2 years, no kids. And I just enlisted in the Army! Yay!

I'm really excited. I have a question tho, about garments at BCT. I was wondering if any current or former military folks, or the spouse of one, could tell me if they think it's better to get the military garments, or use the regular ones. Any advice would be great! Thanks so much!

~Sarah~

Use the military garments while in the military. When I served (Vietnam) there were no choices - our efforts for change were intended for your benefit.

The Traveler

~Sarah~

Thank you for serving our country. God bless you in this.

I haven't served. So, I'm not sure how valuable my opinion is, but I would say you should do whatever will draw the least amount of attention due to the sacred nature of the garments. Obviously, the church wouldn't produce brown/green garments if they were not as useful as the others.

God bless you and your family.

Here's why I want to know.

My cousin was in the Army for 6 years, hasn't had trouble with the white garments, tho he didn't go to basic with them.

His wife just finished basic, with the white garments. She not only didn't have any negative comments about them, but a girl in her bunk recognized her as LDS and she was able to help her be baptized after investigating the church for 6 years.

So I've got 2 very positive votes for the white garments.

My cousin was in the Army for 6 years, hasn't had trouble with the white garments, tho he didn't go to basic with them.

His wife just finished basic, with the white garments. She not only didn't have any negative comments about them, but a girl in her bunk recognized her as LDS and she was able to help her be baptized after investigating the church for 6 years.

Well, ultimately it's up to you to figure out. Seek inspiration from God.

Best wishes!

Guest AutumnBreez

SWEET!

I think if you can deal with the layers (depending on where one is stationed during what season) White would be great to stay with. The purity of the color alone is a nice reminder in of its own....my opinion only B)

SWEET!

I think if you can deal with the layers (depending on where one is stationed during what season) White would be great to stay with. The purity of the color alone is a nice reminder in of its own....my opinion only B)

the layers is a good point, since I will be going to BCT in January :D

Update!!! Update!!!!!!

The church apparently makes garments for men,

BUT NOT FOR WOMEN.

:blink: :blink: :blink:

So, the whole purpose in MAKING military garments is to avoid questions and ridicule. How does wearing MENS UNDERWEAR help me in that?????

It doesn't.

So Men deserve this consideration, but apparently women don't. Don't get me wrong, I'm not some feminazi woman who screams "sexism" at ever opportunity, and I have never even had a thought of having a problem with how the church treats women. But I am REALLY upset over this. <_< <_< <_<

Sarah, have you contacted the Church to see if military garments can be made for you? I know that women (and men) can call and have special needs garments, and special size garments (like for someone who is a 6X or two sizes smaller than a 0 for women) made for them.

Sarah, have you contacted the Church to see if military garments can be made for you? I know that women (and men) can call and have special needs garments, and special size garments (like for someone who is a 6X or two sizes smaller than a 0 for women) made for them.

6 to 8 weeks. I will be almost done by that time. Even if I had ordered them as soon as I enlisted, I wouldn't get them in time. The sewers don't even open again until the new year.

I think what I'm REALLY disgusted about is that when I ordered my garments I was CLEAR that they were for ME. And nobody said that they were MEN'S. the T-shirt isn't a problem. The whole purpose of the military garments is to preserve the dignity of the garments by not exposing them to ridicule and awkward questions. It kindof defeats the purpose if I show up in long men's underwear. Yes, that will avoid awkward questions, and I'm sure I won't be made fun of. *sigh*

Update!!! Update!!!!!!

The church apparently makes garments for men,

BUT NOT FOR WOMEN.

:blink: :blink: :blink:

So, the whole purpose in MAKING military garments is to avoid questions and ridicule. How does wearing MENS UNDERWEAR help me in that?????

It doesn't.

So Men deserve this consideration, but apparently women don't. Don't get me wrong, I'm not some feminazi woman who screams "sexism" at ever opportunity, and I have never even had a thought of having a problem with how the church treats women. But I am REALLY upset over this. <_< <_< <_<

Maybe men are prone to hanging around in their undershirts, but women aren't?

Maybe men are prone to hanging around in their undershirts, but women aren't?

at basic training, women have about as much privacy as men do, and that is none.

I can wear the shirt, but I'd rather wear the white bottoms than the mens.

Actually I'd rather have a womens military bottom <_<

at basic training, women have about as much privacy as men do, and that is none.

Sarah,

I feel for you. I guess the best thing to do is order your garments that you normally wear on bottom and slide w/ the tops. I'm sure w/ the right persuation you can get just exactly what you need for your needs. First stop would be writting a letter expressing what your needs are to the distribution center. Better yet call and talk to someone. I'm sure they have something designed for military women serving active duty. If they don't they are living in the stone age. Good luck.

That is frustrating. Sometimes I wonder who calls the shots over at LDS Distribution

Guest AutumnBreez

That is frustrating. Sometimes I wonder who calls the shots over at LDS Distribution

Don't sweat the small stuff.

Besides, the white could have a questioning affect among those she is lounging with- in a positive manner.

ie, someone may want to learn more about the Church and join.

Lessons from previous reply. It worked for someone else. We may have a trend for new members. :P

I don't know if the other color would have same effect as pure white.

Camo (BDU) is to fit in with environment- outdoor/field. The lounging time would most likely not take place in the field.

My thought on distribution for garments:

Mens neck lines for the Garments are closer to that of the common T-shirt.

Womens are bit more frilly. Not uniform to the other troops. Must be uniform.

Women: feel lucky your hair does not have to be shaved off. I will take having only white over hair shaving!

Evens out I think.

Don't sweat the small stuff.

Besides, the white could have a questioning affect among those she is lounging with- in a positive manner.

ie, someone may want to learn more about the Church and join.

Lessons from previous reply. It worked for someone else. We may have a trend for new members. :P

I don't know if the other color would have same effect as pure white.

Camo (BDU) is to fit in with environment- outdoor/field. The lounging time would most likely not take place in the field.

My thought on distribution for garments:

Mens neck lines for the Garments are closer to that of the common T-shirt.

Womens are bit more frilly. Not uniform to the other troops. Must be uniform.

Women: feel lucky your hair does not have to be shaved off. I will take having only white over hair shaving!

Evens out I think.

I chopped 14 inches of hair off my head 2 days ago. It's about an inch long now.

I don't have a problem with a men's Tshirt. It's kindof generic. I don't want frilly garments. I just want plain ones that don't look like long tighty whities. The garments they sent me will attract more attention than the white ones I have.

I want the same consideration shown to women that is shown to men. They didn't even tell me these were going to be men's underwear, and I was very clear that they were for ME. A girl.