Questions From Bom And D&c

Guest Breezy

I signed up on Read the Scriptures .com to get a daily dose of scriptures in my email. I took D&C ,BOM, POGP and Old Testament Gospel Doctrine study. I am going to have a LOT of questions..... or my head will explode from trying to do this all at once. :rolleyes:

So here are the first questions:

D&C sec1 # 19 It says man should not counsel. Why not? Isnt that what the bishops do and the prophets? Maybe I dont understand what they mean by counsel.

D&C sec1 # 36 What is Idumea? What is the origin of the word?

1st Nephi 1:2 Says "make a record in the language of my father....learning of the Jews and Language of the Egyptions"

Was the record written in hebrew or egyption? If it was egyption why would the record not be recorded in hebrew if Lehi was hebrew educated?

1st Nephi 1:9 Who is the ONE descended from heaven and angel or Christ? Who are the other twelve?

1st Nephi 1:18 regarding the destruction of Jerusalem is that coming or is the BOM talking about a past destruction like during the crusades or...???

Im sorry in advance for the pest I am about to become.

D&C sec1 # 19 It says man should not counsel. Why not? Isnt that what the bishops do and the prophets? Maybe I dont understand what they mean by counsel.

that man should not counsel his fellow man, neither trust in the arm of flesh

This type of counsel is when you are depending on Men and the knoweldge of Men alone. It is when we have God on our side (to Counsel with God) that we can become strong.

Idumea

1st Nephi 1:2 Says "make a record in the language of my father....learning of the Jews and Language of the Egyptions"

Was the record written in hebrew or egyption? If it was egyption why would the record not be recorded in hebrew if Lehi was hebrew educated?

One thing you well notice in the LDS Scriptures, is that we have footnotes for a lot of these things. You can find most of them online with the Lds.org scriptures. For example with the scripture you just sited.

Language

It was actually kind of evolved into its own language taking some from each. Why was this done? I think mostly to make it easyer to write a little bit, but tell a lot.

1st Nephi 1:9 Who is the ONE descended from heaven and angel or Christ? Who are the other twelve?

Yes we assume the one is CHrist or God. And the Twelve are the Twelve apostles.

1st Nephi 1:18 regarding the destruction of Jerusalem is that coming or is the BOM talking about a past destruction like during the crusades or...???

It is destruction that is coming. This is taking place around 600bc. The reasons Nephi is seeing all of this he is trying to catch us up to the point and why they choose to leave Jerusalem in the first place.

Don't worry about the questions. Thats about as many as you probably should group at a time.

But I do suggest you take a look at

http://scriptures.lds.org/

Mostly even the Bible Dictionary and the Topical (or is that Tropical) Guide.

These help you find other scriptures about the same topic and give us better understanding.

I also suggest you take a look at these Instatute manuals.

http://www.ldsces.org/Institute%20Manuals.asp

You can actually buy these if you wanted to and have them shipped to you. They help a lot understand what is all going on all the scriptures!

It should help with SOME of your questions, but feel free to ask anything you want!

"One thing you well notice in the LDS Scriptures, is that we have footnotes for a lot of these things. You can find most of them online with the Lds.org scriptures. For example with the scripture you just sited.

Language"

I did look it up but nothing I found answered my question. It didnt say which language it was written in or why one would be used over another

"It was actually kind of evolved into its own language taking some from each."

Where did you find this and is there more I can read about it?

"Thats about as many as you probably should group at a time."

ok I wont ask so many anymore

"But I do suggest you take a look at

http://scriptures.lds.org/"

I have but I dont always find what I need to know there

"You can actually buy these if you wanted to and have them shipped to you."

Actually I cant. I need to be able to do this all online or I wont be able to do it at all.

Thanks for the help.

Breezy,

A little hint - just ask one question per topic. That way there can be a better discussion regarding it. We can get into more depth without losing any of the other questions. Each question you ask is important and we don't want any of them getting forgotten or lost.

This is what this forum is all about. You asking a question and then it being answered without all the condemnation and anti smears.

Persoanlly I like the on-line scriptures over the books. Easier to 'flip' from page to page. Plus you can cut and paste into Word if you need to for future reference.

Breezy,

A little hint - just ask one question per topic. That way there can be a better discussion regarding it. We can get into more depth without losing any of the other questions. Each question you ask is important and we don't want any of them getting forgotten or lost.

This is what this forum is all about. You asking a question and then it being answered without all the condemnation and anti smears.

Persoanlly I like the on-line scriptures over the books. Easier to 'flip' from page to page. Plus you can cut and paste into Word if you need to for future reference.

Thanks for the hint I will limit the questions I have from now on

Breezy

Although Lehi and Ismael were Hebrews, they were not from the tribe of Judah (Jews). They were from the tribe of Mannasah and in addition, Lehi was a descendent of a Hebrew father, Joseph, and an Egyption mother, an Egyption Princess. We do not know the ancestry of Sariah, Joram and Ismael. They could have been from the same tribe as Lehi but there is no record about it.

Larry P

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE("Breezy")</div>

I did look it up but nothing I found answered my question. It didnt say which language it was written in or why one would be used over another

The link provided by Tubaloth did provide the name of the language. The link provided two references and the second reads:

"And now, behold, we have written this record according to our knowledge, in the characters which are called among us the reformed Egyptian, being handed down and altered by us, according to our manner of speech." (Morm. 9:32; Emphasis mine.)

So what we learn from both verses, 1 Ne. 1:2 and Morm. 9:32, is that this language is called "reformed Egyptian" and it consisted of the learning of the Jews and the language of the Egyptians which over time was altered by the Nephites to better accomodate their "manner of speech."

At http://scriptures.lds.org you can continue to read in verse 33 of the ninth chapter of Mormon the following:

"And if our plates had been sufficiently large we should have written in Hebrew; but the Hebrew hath been altered by us also; and if we could have written in Hebrew, behold, ye would have had no imperfection in our record." (Emphasis mine)

We learn from verse 33 that the reason the altered reformed Egyptian was used was because it was even more compact than their altered Hebrew.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE("Breezy")</div>

I agree with Tubaloth that this is speaking to trusting in the arm of the flesh, but again, if we read over at http://scriptures.lds.org I think we'll find some interesting context:

"Wherefore, I the Lord, knowing the calamity which should come upon the inhabitants of the earth, called upon my servant Joseph Smith, Jun., and spake unto him from heaven, and gave him commandments; And also gave commandments to others, that they should proclaim these things unto the world; and all this that it might be fulfilled, which was written by the prophets—The weak things of the world shall come forth and break down the mighty and strong ones, that man should not counsel his fellow man, neither trust in the arm of flesh—But that every man might speak in the name of God the Lord, even the Savior of the world; That faith also might increase in the earth; That mine everlasting covenant might be established; That the fulness of my gospel might be proclaimed by the weak and the simple unto the ends of the world, and before kings and rulers.

"Behold, I am God and have spoken it; these commandments are of me, and were given unto my servants in their weakness, after the manner of their language, that they might come to understanding." (D&C 1:18-24; Emphasis mine.)

God is, in my opinion, here emphasizing from Whom the gospel and the understanding of that gospel comes.

• 2 weeks later...

I signed up on Read the Scriptures .com to get a daily dose of scriptures in my email. I took D&C ,BOM, POGP and Old Testament Gospel Doctrine study. I am going to have a LOT of questions..... or my head will explode from trying to do this all at once. :rolleyes:

I would suggest reading the BoM first, and then the D&C, skipping around will cause lots of questions.

So here are the first questions:

Man should not cousel by the flesh. nor should they judge, because whatever judgements or councels they give, they will be also accountable for. this is a warning against hypocrites and those who think they know everything.

It is a Cursing, similar to plagues

The Language of the Book of Mormon is "Reformed Egyptian" it is a real language that has only been recently discovered to be a real written language, Mormoni expressed concern in writing in that language because of how it came out on the golden plates. but that it was required because of the lack of space and difficulty of the inscripions.

Christ, and the twelve apostles.

Im sorry in advance for the pest I am about to become.

The destruction of jerusalem is being foretold, which is why Lehi was commanded to leave jerusalem and travel down to the coast and head to the new world (the american continent)