When in doubt - go see the Bishop.

You would have been interviewed prior to baptism. That would have been the time to confess those things, not after.

If there are some things you did not confess, then go see the Bishop.

It's hard for me to tell you what to do -- since I don't know what happened or how serious it was.

It is apparent to me that this is something you've been thinking about, enough to make you want to post about it and get some feedback.

Have you prayed about this?

Remember -- going to your bishop is about getting right with God. There is something about confessing our wrongs to another human being that is very liberating and freeing and healing. We are only as sick as our secrets.

This is about getting right with God.

If this is bugging you, then you need to get rid of it. Until you do, it will continue to bug you. This is a holy thing that is happening. It is God's way of inviting you to approach Him in total honesty. He has ordained the process, and the process is to confess to your Bishop anything that affects your temple worthiness - anything that is weighing you down, even if it is not on the list of temple worthiness questions, would also qualify.

If you don't feel "right" with God -- do what it takes to feel peace of mind.

Guest Malcolm

I'm really bothered about having to have a conversation with chastity about anyone, particularly something from so long ago and no longer has any bearing on my life whatsoever. Is that entirely necessary?

The rest I can deal with.

Wanderer:

You will receive lessons thru the missionaries, and in the course of those lessons certain principles will be taught to you. They will ask you if you understand the principle and are willing to live by them from that point forward. You must seek repentance from God on your own and as you exercise faith in the Savior if you are truly repentant and desire baptism as an act of faith and contrition then all past is dead.

Be mindful of the true desires and intent of your heart. If after that you still have questions then there may be an issue you have to address. The Bishop does not like to hear about problems and transgressions any more than you'd like to share your sins but if there is an issue worth his attention he'd be there to help you.

If it is in the past then you know what to do. As far as going forward; you can not lie to God not can you cover your sin from before His face.

Oh definetly it's on your mind enough to worry you.I think you will find that is a prompting of the spirit.

As to children what bearing does that have??

I also know of somebody who had a relationship pre Church Membership.Confessed & done & dusted but then found out several years down the line that he did indeed have a child.

Hidden

I know. I just don't want to out of sheer embarassment and shame and having to tell someone who is good and decent something that is so bad. It all happened so long ago and I really don't have any inclination in that area. It's far removed from who I am now. It's just one of those cringe factors.

I'm a girl Joette.

I know. I just don't want to out of sheer embarassment and shame and having to tell someone who is good and decent something that is so bad. It all happened so long ago and I really don't have any inclination in that area. It's far removed from who I am now. It's just one of those cringe factors.

I'm a girl Joette.

It sounds like you are trying to get out of something you know in your heart you should do. None of your explanations about how long ago it was or how you have changed since then matter to me. You are a stranger to me. All I can tell you is what I think you should do, and I think you should go talk to your Bishop, based on what you have chosen to share with us and what I have felt.

Nobody will force you to confess, not me, not your Bishop, and not Jesus. Your confession has to be voluntary. It is up to you.

So what are you going to do?

The interview before baptism would be where you would discuss your worthiness to be baptized. The interview is so that the interviewer, through the power of Christ, can determine your readiness to be baptized.

What matters is your heart. Your desire to follow Christ and keep His commandments.

If you take the missionary discussions at some point and decide to be baptized, you will have a worthiness interview. Listen to your feelings during that interview. The Lord will help you know what you should talk about.

If you have not even had the discussions, then talking about all of this is WAY too early. It's like worrying about how to land a plane before you have even taken your first flying lesson. First things first. The first thing you would want to do is take the missionary discussions.

Hidden

It's kind of hard to explain Tom. I guess I want to know that I'm very very sure and prepared mentally and I don't want to waste a missionaries time (while I know they wouldn't think of it that way I would). I'm cautious and don't make decisions lightly. I actually want to take lessons. But I think fronting up to a service is just too quick for me. I am very serious in nature.

I think I can understand at least some what you are feeling and experiencing. It is not an easy thing to change one's life or adopt new beliefs or ways of believing and behaving. Even for a life-long member like myself, it has not been easy. I have made some mistakes along the way. Repentance is always possible. Even if you got baptized while hiding some sins from people, repentance is always possible. Even after baptism you make make some serious mistakes. Repentance is always possible.

From my perspective, Jesus is not interested so much in our past as He is in our present and our future. We are here to learn to trust Him. To learn to follow Him. He does not expect perfection -- just that we honestly do our best, and when we know we have done wrong, we repent and try to do better. For what else can we do?

Sooner or later you will want to take care of anything that is keeping you from having the relationship with Christ you desire. Anything that is bugging you is probably something you will want to take care of. Christ Himself will help you realize what things you need to take to Him or to the Bishop after you are baptized.

Hidden

I guess I'm realising that it's inevitable that I am just driven to find the truth and as shy as I am there is no other way. I think I might ask the missionaries for a Book of Mormon and whatever else they have for me to read and work myself out from there.

I guess I'm realising that it's inevitable that I am just driven to find the truth and as shy as I am there is no other way. I think I might ask the missionaries for a Book of Mormon and whatever else they have for me to read and work myself out from there.

I think that is a really good plan.

Good luck, and keep us posted! :)

Take care,

Tom

I'm really bothered about having to have a conversation with chastity about anyone, particularly something from so long ago and no longer has any bearing on my life whatsoever. Is that entirely necessary?

The rest I can deal with.

Your post and the replies to it are helping me out termendously. I'm a recovering Alcoholic, have been sober a bit over 6 1/2 years, and feel now that I am coming back full-circle to a relationship with my Heavenly Father & Jesus Christ.

I met for the first time, with my Bishop Tuesday night. I had much fear and anxiety of telling him of my past transgressions, and honestly I did not want to tell him those things. But (my grammar teacher would know me upside the head starting a sentence with 'BUT') looking back and praying I know the spirit of the Holy Ghost gave me the strength to tell (on myself) of the things that I have done.

A tool I learned in AA is this:

1. Pray for guidance from High Power, which I identify NOW as my Heavenly Father & Jesus Christ.

2. Write about what is on my mind, heart, and spirit (e.g. journaling).

3. Talk to my Bishop (especielly now as I continue thru the repentence process).

4. Continually Pray for guidance and seeking help from God.

For you see, God know the things I have done and what I'm thinking and I know that he knows. I've been told recently that the Bishop is my "gate" to my Father In Heaven and only thru this gate may I someday be able to be in his presence once more.

My hope is that my experience can also help you out. God Bless!

scott

Hidden

Scott, bless you. I kind of hear what you are saying in that it's part of the recovery process and staying that way. I have zero temptation. That in itself is bound to be a difficult conversation as I realise what importance family and marriage has within LDS and I don't really see that as a part of my life. It's in the 'that ship has sailed' category, rather than a deliberate choice on my behalf.

Eeek.