Sunbeam Class

Guest Enigma85

Guest Enigma85

I was called to be the sunbeam teacher in March. Things went smoothly, but the last two weeks have left me frustrated. I have one child, Jonathan, who refuses to settle down and insists on shouting during class, even though our class is connected to the primary room itself. Another child, Angela, is a follower to the core, and insists on mimicking whoever is being the most outspoken (usually Jonathan). The other ones are milder versions of Jonathan.

I've tried everything I can to get them to calm down. After a lesson on feelings, I would put on an exaggerated frown and tell them that their misbehaving made me sad. It calmed everyone down, but Jonathan (and, of course, Angela). Next, I tried getting a picture of Jesus and turning it over whenever they misbehaved and explaining that Jesus wouldn't want to be with us in teh classroom because of their actions. Another time, I tried a reward system, giving them stickers whenever they were reverent for a relative amount of time. But, after a day or two, it wears off and I'm at my wits end.

For the past two weeks, I've had to stop my lesson after not even 10 minutes and herd them outside to keep them from disturbing the primary lesson going on in the other room. I still manage to get my point across, because I use every opportunity I can to incorporate our lesson in the things they do outside... And today! They decided to play "Harry Potter" and picked up sticks to use as wands. Before I could grab them from them, Angela had accidentally scratched Jonathan's eye with it. While comforting Angela, someone from the other ward gave the other two children ice cream sandwiches before I could even notice. To make things even worse, Jonathan's mother showed up early and seemed upset about the ice cream, even though I apologized and explained as well as I could. Then she saw his eye before I could tell her and seemed even more upset. She took her son home and I felt absolutely terrible.

I came home, prayed, searched through the half a dozen books they gave me to help me in teaching my class, but there's NOTHING on how to get them interested in the lesson. I'm desperate here! Please, any suggestions, any experiences telling me "it's normal, you're not a screw up"... I'd be extremely grateful.

I don't have any suggestions for making primary easier, but I have to ask: Who brings ice cream sandwiches to church to share with littles kids in other wards? Is this a common occurrance in your area?

Okay, I do have a suggestion-- maybe you could try to get the parents more involved in their childrens' behavioral problems. Primary should not be viewed by parents as a babysitting service, but as a place where children can learn about the gospel on their own level. If the child has behavioral problems, make sure the parent knows the child will go back to them until their child can behave without causing problems. If the parent would like their child to attend primary, perhaps they could sit with their child as necessary to help settle them down.

I like your idea of a reward system, stickers. I'd be jumping out of my socks if I got a sticker for going to your class.

But seriously, bring cup cakes or donuts or cookies, or just small pieces of candy. And give them to the kids who behave nicely at the end of the lesson and don't give them to those who don't behave. This might cause some kids to feel left out though if you give cookies or whatever to some kids and don't give some to others.

If that's so just bring a bag of candy or whatever and slowly distribute them to the each person in your class as they participate. And give them something when they sit quietly with their hands folded in their laps and what not.

• 2 weeks later...

I taught sumbeams when I was only 18 and loved it. first off I would ask for a second teacher. next get the children involved as much as possible. holding pictures is a great way. I dont belive in treats for behavor but to reward them with privilige like being able to hold a picture hopefully it will be an insentive to behave. sumbeams are so fun and I hope you will find all the joy in teaching them.