What is a duck? - a talk by our Stake President

It was our Stake Conference today and my older daughter and I attended - sat next to Pushka. :)

There were some brilliant talks on the Family theme but one absolutely superb talk by our Stake President for which he had prepared handouts which we all received before going in.

These consisted of two illustrations of a duck. One was a clear and detailed image with no background so the duck could be seen clearly. The other was a less detailed duck but with lots of grass and stuff around it so the duck was less easy to see.

He spoke about when we are teaching our lessons in church how we should make sure they resemble the first image and concentrate on the duck rather than only vaguely alluding to the duck as in the second image but have lots of irrelevant background around it so that some people leave the class unsure of whether we were being taught about ducks or grass.

We all know what the duck is in next weeks Relief Society/Priesthood lesson as he referred to it several times in his talk. I thought it was brilliant.

Maybe Pushka would like to add her views on it too. I thought the illustration was very helpful.