Mormons' Interest in Judaism-Questions

Guest stephanders57

Islander,

It is not true that "most Jews today are secular or non-observant Jews". That is like saying most Mormons are part of a sect, live in Utah, and believe in polygamy. There are many Jews who do observe the Sabbath, do follow the laws of the Torah, and do keep Kosher. There are many observant Jews throughout the country and world. And different branches of Judaism.

Islander

Junior Member Join Date: May 2008

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is interesting but most Jews today are secular or non-observant Jews, even in Israel. Many stores and businesses remain open on the Sabbath and in general if they would live outside of Israel there may be nothing to distinguish them from the rest of us "gentiles". That is not to say that there a also many that are very serious about their religion.

In that context, tt is an element of self-identification like saying "I am Irish or Italian or French-Canadian" when we refer to our ancestry and origins. I think most people are driven to seek self-identification. this is just an example.

I did not intend to say ALL Jews were not observant. I said most because that is what a survey from the Knesset in 1998 on the 50th anniversary of the creation of the state of Israel showed. Synagogue attendance and the like were featured in the survey. I also said that many were quite serious about their religion.

The point I tried to illustrate was that being a Jew is part of self-identity and not just religious observance. There are millions who are quite observant. That has never been in question.

Guest stephanders57

Islander, what about observant Mormons vs nonobservant-what is the trend these days?

Stephan

I did not intend to say ALL Jews were not observant. I said most because that is what a survey from the Knesset in 1998 on the 50th anniversary of the creation of the state of Israel showed. Synagogue attendance and the like were featured in the survey. I also said that many were quite serious about their religion.

The point I tried to illustrate was that being a Jew is part of self-identity and not just religious observance. There are millions who are quite observant. That has never been in question.

I think, based on the Conference report that since attendance is about 45% we can surmise that observance could be at the same level. Of course, I have no statistical certainty on that statement. I think a better indicator should be % of temple recommend holders.

The same holds true for LDS. Some people may have not been in church for ages but identify themselves as "Mormons." But I think if they fall in total inactivity for a very long period of time they may stop identifying themselves that way. However our Jewish bretheren would not stop calling themselves Jews under any circumstance. Remember; you are born a Jew of a Jewish mother, for the most part.