Church Address Confusion

aclaire11

So to make a long story short, I am in St. Petersburg, Russia with a study abroad program. It has taken me almost all day to figure out where an LDS Church is in preparation for tomorrow. So now I know physically where it is on a map and how to get there, but the address is as follows:

Maloohtensky Prospekt, 16/1

POM. H, 11-H, 12-H

Maloohtensky Prospekt is the street, "16/1" is the number. I feel really stupid asking this, but I come from a small town and don't really understand city address systems. So it appears that this buliding is a hotel or large complex of some sort. Why is there a "/1" after the 16? And what on earth does the second line mean?? Does it mean that there is a section "H" of the hotel and that the church occupies the 11th and 12th floors of that section?

This is the site I got the address from: Mormon.org - Worship with Us - Search

I would really appreciate any help with this. I'm going to try to get in some missionary discussions to clear up my last few questions, and then I'm pretty sure I'm going to get baptised at some point before I go home. :D

With a little research I found out that "16/1" means that the building is on an intersection.

When an address number features a slash "/" it indicates that the building is on the cross-road of another street – basically on a corner. The number before the slash is the number associated street name.

11-H and 12-H may refer to the rooms, separate buildings, or floors. I can't figure that out, myself.

So to make a long story short, I am in St. Petersburg, Russia with a study abroad program. It has taken me almost all day to figure out where an LDS Church is in preparation for tomorrow. So now I know physically where it is on a map and how to get there, but the address is as follows:

Maloohtensky Prospekt, 16/1

POM. H, 11-H, 12-H

Maloohtensky Prospekt is the street, "16/1" is the number. I feel really stupid asking this, but I come from a small town and don't really understand city address systems. So it appears that this buliding is a hotel or large complex of some sort. Why is there a "/1" after the 16? And what on earth does the second line mean?? Does it mean that there is a section "H" of the hotel and that the church occupies the 11th and 12th floors of that section?

This is the site I got the address from: Mormon.org - Worship with Us - Search

I would really appreciate any help with this. I'm going to try to get in some missionary discussions to clear up my last few questions, and then I'm pretty sure I'm going to get baptised at some point before I go home. :D

are you not able to call the mission home and ask for help????

The church you found may be very difficult to find. If you have money my friend advices you to take the taxi. He did not find it last time and he is Russian.... Anyway the easiest way to find a church is to go to a smal green in the middle of St. Petersburg, there where the bridge Anitskin (hehe DONT trust my spelling, have no idea) with the horses go over the river, Church is on Fontanka.

And best is to call mission office. The meeting begins at 10 with sacrament meeting or in some places at 11.

You can do like we did in London and in Paris .. we tok the underground close by and then followed some people who looked like mormons.. it turned out to be the missionary couple!:lol:

The dash likely means that the building is on a corner. The building is 16 Maloohtensky Prospekt, but building 1 on the cross street. In any case, that was my experience with the addresses in that area.

I'm not sure what the second line means. It's most likely internal to the building. Write it down and take it with you, and hopefully you can get some help from a kind person there (avoid the babusya, they'll confuse you more than help).

The first number--16 means the building number-the slash is either the korpus number (which means there are several buildings in a row, each number 16 and then 1,2,3 etc)-or it means which entrance into the building-usually 1 or 2--in this case #1). That is how they do all addresses in Russia. It has nothing to do with the size of the city. If you are by the Metro, I'd go early and look for missionaries arriving and then walk with them to the building. Good luck--

Thanks so much for all the help! I left really early and managed to find the mission office. But I wasn't sure if the church was in the same building. Plus there are 3 wards there and people were leaving as well as entering, which was pretty confusing. In the end I ended up asking some Russian members where the church was and they had a man take me there, where he gave me to a Russian girl who spoke English.

The 1st hour was translated into headphones, the 2nd hour was not translated at all, and the Russian girl translated Relief Society for me and 2 other women. The missionaries all speak English except for one, and there are also some BYU students studying here as well. I will be meeting with 2 Sister missionaries tomorrow for a pre-baptism interview and if that goes well I will be baptised on Saturday!

aclarie how wondeful. Good you found it. My frend said he did not find it and he is a russian. Babtised .. that sounds great! Remember to write down your feelings and your testimony for yourself. It may get handy someday to get back to the feeling you had right after babtism.:)