Church is not a social club - what does that mean to you?

ruthiechan

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I first came across the statement in a talk which President Hinckley gave in 1990, when the Church changed the way ward budgets were done (provided by Church HQ rather than by ward members' contributions). Because less affluent wards would be receiving more than previously, more affluent wards, who had been accustomed to more lavish activities and outings, would be receiving less (and, presumably, would be required to scale back and simplify their activities). Perhaps anticipating a bit of backlash from the latter, President Hinckley said the following by way of clarification:

Further with reference to activities, may I say that I regard activities as important, particularly for our youth. Social opportunities are necessary. Young people enjoy one another’s company, and it is essential that they have the opportunity to do so. But perhaps we have gone too far in providing for some beyond what is needed or what is best in terms of the individuals and their families.

It should be recognized that this church is not a social club. This is the kingdom of God in the earth. It is The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Its purpose is to bring salvation and exaltation to both the living and the dead.

May I remind you of a tremendous statement given by the First Presidency in 1907. They said: “Our motives are not selfish; our purposes not petty and earthbound; we contemplate the human race—past, present, and yet to come—as immortal beings, for whose salvation it is our mission to labor; and to this work, broad as eternity and deep as the love of God, we devote ourselves, now and forever.” (In Conference Report, Apr. 1907, appendix, “An Address to the World,” p. 16.) Such is the scope of our responsibility.

In working under this new program let us not quibble or complain. Let us not get bogged down in discussions over a division of dollars and dimes. Let us not worry and get all worked up about exotic excursions that now may not be possible. These might provide wonderful fun, and young people, we all agree, need to have some fun under the direction of Church officers and teachers. But these officers and teachers, and these young men and women, are people of ingenuity who with faith and prayer can work out programs costing little in dollars that will yield tremendous dividends in wholesome recreation and faith-building activities. Perhaps we should be less concerned with fun and more with faith. This is a new and wonderful program. As with any new program, there will be a few items that will need to be corrected as we go along. There are still unanswered questions, particularly concerning recreation properties. Time and experience will provide the answers. Meanwhile, be grateful and prayerfully go to work to make it function. I promise you that you will be happy if you do so. Family life will be strengthened and faith will increase.

In other words, while fellowship is important to the spiritual life of church members, it is not the purpose of the church to provide social activities. At about the same time that President Hinckley gave these remarks, Boyd K. Packer very wisely stated that it is the responsibility of the family to provide recreational activities for children and each other. In addition, I would add that there should be no shame in having many social contacts outside the church. In fact, Elder Ballard has strongly encouraged us to do so with increasing frequency and urgency, stating that we were never intended to be cloistered and huddled together in our insular church groups. If we are truly to be a light unto the world, it would seem that more of our social activities would need to be outside the church and in our communities. (Meetup.com lists various gatherings relative to every interest imaginable.)

Hopefully this helps explain a few things.