Lost books of the bible

hordak

I saw a special done by the discovery channel on the lost books of the bible. How they were dropped what they contained etc. This made me wonder since we consider the bible to incomplete if any of the Prophets or general authorities had anything to say about the validity of these lost text?

Here's what God has to say about it:

http://scriptures.lds.org/en/dc/91/

1 Verily, thus saith the Lord unto you concerning the Apocrypha—There are many things contained therein that are true, and it is mostly translated correctly;

2 There are many things contained therein that are not true, which are interpolations by the hands of men.

3 Verily, I say unto you, that it is not needful that the Apocrypha should be translated.

4 Therefore, whoso readeth it, let him understand, for the Spirit manifesteth truth;

5 And whoso is enlightened by the Spirit shall obtain benefit therefrom;

6 And whoso receiveth not by the Spirit, cannot be benefited. Therefore it is not needful that it should be translated. Amen.

Thanks but thats all the stuff in the Catholic bible right? I was referring to the stuff the Catholics left out. Book of Enoch, Jasher, etc. Have they had anything to say about those?

The D&C doesn't say, but History of the Church might, which printing of the Bible Joseph Smith was using at the time, but it's quite safe to say it wasn't the "Catholic" version. Considering the qualification of the King James Version as the "most correct English version" it's most probably that JS was translating from this version.

My mom had a 2 part collection of the "lost books of the bible", which included Enoch and others. I lent it to a friend, I need to remember ot get it back from her.... In any case, the Lord's statement that the "apocrypha is mostly correct" and to be "enlightened by the spirit" when reading it likely applies to all apocryphal texts. From there it's just a matter of figuring out just what the LDS church considers apocryphal. The Dead Sea Scrolls and the gnostic gospels are two examples of gray areas where the question of an "apocryphal" label applies.

Look up "lost books" in your bible dictionary. It should list all the books that are mentioned in the Old and New Testament, which are not actually part of the Bible's canon. They simply weren't included. At the end of the Book of John, we are told that a hundredth part of what Christ did could not be written for it would take up volumes. Consider how much time spans the book of Genesis alone. There is simply soooo much that we don't have from the Bible.

I saw a special done by the discovery channel on the lost books of the bible. How they were dropped what they contained etc. This made me wonder since we consider the bible to incomplete if any of the Prophets or general authorities had anything to say about the validity of these lost text?

Book of Enoch was referenced both by the Savior and Jude. Yet, if you notice, it is not part of the current KJV. Even the Book of Revelations was not considered part of an earlier attempt with canonization.

Getting back to the topic....if you look back in your quad scriptures dictionary, under 'Lost Books', there is a list of referenced materials that is absent in our current KJV Bible. Also, it took the early apostates four times to final come to a reasonable listing of what should be canonized, what is left out is over 5,000 writings [scrolls etc]. The Pagans and the Apostates felt that they had issues with the content or fragment writings.

If anything that is outside the normality of the scriptures will require the Holy Ghost for appropriate interruptions. This will require you to live close to the Spirit and being attuned.

Look up "lost books" in your bible dictionary. It should list all the books that are mentioned in the Old and New Testament, which are not actually part of the Bible's canon. They simply weren't included. At the end of the Book of John, we are told that a hundredth part of what Christ did could not be written for it would take up volumes. Consider how much time spans the book of Genesis alone. There is simply soooo much that we don't have from the Bible.

You can look stuff up in books also? Never read about that on the internet^_^

From the dictionary...

"The forgoing items attest to the fact that our present Bible does not contain all of the word of the lord that he gave to his people in former times, and reminds us that the Bible ,in its present form, is rather incomplete"

This makes sense to me. And reiterates the need for a Prophet . Makes me wonder how those who believe in Biblical inerrancy view the lost books? I guess thats a different question for a different thread

According to 2 Enoch 35:2, God made a similar promise to Enoch: "And I shall raise up for that generation someone who will reveal to them the books in your handwriting and those of your fathers."1 Joseph Smith restored some of the writings of Moses and Enoch in the book of Moses.

So Joseph fulfilled this prophesy at least 35 years prior to the prophesys rediscovery.

WOW Thats amazing.