What is LDS Church sevice like ??

Thank you for asking the question.

-Carol

Hello abqfriend,

Although I would certainly agree that Ben's post ( Elphaba like :) ) was very informative and indeed greatly appreciated, I must be honest and tell you I am a little jealous. You thanked him ( Ben ), well what about me ( ceeboo ) you know I started this thread !!!

Where is my special attention ?? ceeboo needs a little love too !!!

I will be waiting for the forth coming love and attention that I seek :):)

God bless,

Carl

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ceeboo,

The Temple in Michigan is in Bloomfield Hills, right off of Woodward. There is also one of our meeting houses that shares the parking lot with the temple. I used to live there and go to that building (and attend that Temple when it was finally built).

Vanhin

P.S. I just noticed kathysmike already furnished you with this info... :)

Guest ceeboo

Ceeboo,

The Temple in Michigan is in Bloomfield Hills, right off of Woodward. There is also one of our meeting houses that shares the parking lot with the temple. I used to live there and go to that building (and attend that Temple when it was finally built).

Vanhin

P.S. I just noticed kathysmike already furnished you with this info... :)

Hey Vanhin,

Good to hear from you my friend,:)

Yes, that info was provided, thanks for your help!!:)

That ( on woodward ) is the one that is about 3 miles from my home, I have driven past it several times.

You say you used to go there, cool, when I visit I will drop your name:) probably will get good treatment then huh????:)

Where did u live ??

God bless,

Carl

Hey Vanhin,

Good to hear from you my friend,:)

Yes, that info was provided, thanks for your help!!:)

That ( on woodward ) is the one that is about 3 miles from my home, I have driven past it several times.

You say you used to go there, cool, when I visit I will drop your name:) probably will get good treatment then huh????:)

Where did u live ??

God bless,

Carl

Ceeboo,

I lived in Birmingham for a few months with my parents after I came home from serving as a missionary. I was attending the singles ward, where I met my wife. After we were married, we attended a couple of different wards in the same stake, including the Pontiac branch.

The Detroit Temple had not yet been built at that time, so we were sealed in the Toronto Temple in Canada. However, before I moved to Colorado, we were able to attend the new temple several times.

Look up bishop Kunz, and tell him Esa says hello! :)

Regards,

Vanhin

Dress code is "Sunday best". Nice conservative dress. Dresses/skirts for the ladies and slacks, shirt and tie for the men. But if someone doesn't come wearing Sunday best it isn't a problem.

Once again, I have to give a shout out to the Mormons on "Sunday best." When I was a kid, going to Baptist church, everyone wore their best dress cloths. I hated it when I was a kid, but now I really wish Catholics dressed up for Sunday Mass. A few months ago, one of the readers was up there in a Red Sox t-shirt for crying out loud!

Guest ceeboo

Once again, I have to give a shout out to the Mormons on "Sunday best." When I was a kid, going to Baptist church, everyone wore their best dress cloths. I hated it when I was a kid, but now I really wish Catholics dressed up for Sunday Mass. A few months ago, one of the readers was up there in a Red Sox t-shirt for crying out loud!

Hey August,

A shout out to the Mormons is totally fine

A shout at the Mormons, well, not so much:)

Hey Ceeboo,

No it would not show disrespect to leave right after Sacrament -- no one will tackle:lol: or confront you about leaving -- however, some may greet you and invite you to the Gospel Principle class. That is the Sunday school class that is for learning the basic doctrine of the LDS Church.

If you go some Sunday I ( and I'm sure as well as others) would like to know what you think. I for one would want your honesty.:)

Personally -- at first I thought it was a little strange because it was not what I was used to. I was used to a preacher preaching hellfire and brimstone,LOL! The music is a little different, but still beautiful hymns.:)

When my wife and I first attended an LDS Sunday service, we went about four or five times before we realized that there was no collection plate being passed.:huh:

And, like you, I noticed the lack of a "Hellfire and Brimstone" preacher. About the hymns, I realized that many of them were prayers set to music. They set the proper spirit for a worship service where true reverent and thoughtful individual worship is done, as they should.

The lives of my family have been very blessed since visiting that LDS ward over forty years ago.

My brother was in a ward that at one time they started at 4 in the afternoon and got done at 7 pm. There was something like 5 wards in his building.

The Church is finishing new Chapels on the average of one a day worldwide now and still we are crowded. That's the price of rapid growth. We have three wards meeting in our building right now. One, a Spanish speaking Ward, just moved out and into their own building a month ago.

This leaves the current three, one starts at 9am, one at 11am, and mine, at 1pm. I like the time of the ward I'm in, because I don't sleep well at night and am not a "morning person". On January first all wards in our building will rotate and we will go to the 9am time slot. It won't be easy for me, but I have time to try to prepare for it.

When my wife and I first attended an LDS Sunday service, we went about four or five times before we realized that there was no collection plate being passed.:huh:

Really, I noticed that the first time, I even had money in my pocket ready for it, (I figured a few bucks for the time the missionaries had spent with me was ok) It just floored me.

When I went to my wifes (who was my girlfriend at that time) RCC church the first time, they had baskets on a stick, the elders(or whomever it was?) reached them into the pews and stopped in front of each person, they even shook them a few times if you were not quick about it-- I know from future visits and my RCC friends this was not normal -- the guy doing that day was just rude. But boy did it leave a bad impression on me.