Guest LLindstrom

Guest LLindstrom

Hi everyone... I'm going to be baptised on Wednesday morning :D and just had a couple questions I thought someone might be able to answer. I was going to ask during my interview but we got talking about things and I forgot to ask.

First, how long after I get baptised until I can receive a patriarchal blessing? I've been searching for this info but haven't been able to find it. And also, how long until I can be married in the temple? Is it a year? What kinds of callings are good for new members? How soon until I will get a calling?

Thanks so much guys!

Guest Unorthodox

I joined the church in 2003 and had to wait to get the Melch. Priesthood for about one year.

Only then was I able to start working towards getting a Temple Recommend for the purpose of the Endowment/Sealing. If you are a woman, I guess it might be different.

I don't know if you need to wait for a Patriarchal Blessing, although I waited one year before I decided to do that.

As for callings...

I got a calling almost immediately after baptism. I liked teaching Primary, but I guess everyone is different.

Originally posted by LLindstrom@Oct 18 2004, 09:02 AM

Hi everyone... I'm going to be baptised on Wednesday morning :D and just had a couple questions I thought someone might be able to answer. I was going to ask during my interview but we got talking about things and I forgot to ask.

First, how long after I get baptised until I can receive a patriarchal blessing? I've been searching for this info but haven't been able to find it. And also, how long until I can be married in the temple? Is it a year? What kinds of callings are good for new members? How soon until I will get a calling?

Thanks so much guys!

You should be able to have a calling right away. Make sure it is understood you are ready to accept a calling - make a covenant promise now with the Lord to do what ever he ask of you.

Going to the temple may take a while. If you are not going on a mission or getting married or are currently married; preparing for the temple will take longer than a year.

Receiving a Patriarchal Blessing is between you and your bishop. I suggest you take your time. If you feel you need a blessing to help you right away - ask your home teachers or Bishop for a Priesthood blessing.

Being a new member I suggest (in addition to scripture) you read Talmage "Jesus The Christ" and "Articles of Faith". Also read Kimball's "Miracle of Forgiveness".

The Traveler

Originally posted by LLindstrom@Oct 18 2004, 09:02 AM

First, how long after I get baptised until I can receive a patriarchal blessing?

Seven

And also, how long until I can be married in the temple?

It used to be 19 or 20 fortnights, but now the Church is going metric so it's different.

What kinds of callings are good for new members?

Archduke is good but time fairly time consuming.

Parlimentarian is great if you are good at memorizing.

When was first baptised I was a gaffer and then flankerback, but it doesn't really matter what you are. If you are called to be a contralto, then by golly be the very best contralto you can be.

Originally posted by LLindstrom@Oct 18 2004, 10:02 AM

Thanks so much guys!

Hi. You sound like me when I was first baptized. I was anxious to jump right in there and learn and do everything that I could right away. To hurry up and be a "real" latter day saint instead of being constantly referred to as a convert.

I was baptized on Sunday, July 14, 2002 and recieved my first calling the following Wednesday. I still hold that calling plus one other. AFter 4 months I recieved my Patriarchial Blessing. Then in July of 2003 (1year and a few days after my baptism) I went to the temple for my endowments.

If I had it to do over the only thing that I would change would be to have listened to the missionaries who came to see me back in 1978. But at that time, the things they were trying to tell me sounded to rediculous and far fetched to my Methodist ears. I didn't come into contact with anymore Mormons until 20 years later, and no more missionaries until the March before I was baptized. I am telling you all this as an example to also follow the Spirit. The Spirit knew that I was not ready for the church until 2002, and so He did not make it available to me again until then. When you are ready for your callings, Patriarchial Blessing and Endowments, the Spirit will place the opportunities there for you and guide you through it. :D

Cyra

Originally posted by Cyra+Oct 21 2004, 07:16 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Cyra @ Oct 21 2004, 07:16 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--LLindstrom@Oct 18 2004, 10:02 AM

Hi everyone...  I'm going to be baptised on Wednesday morning  :D  and just had a couple questions I thought someone might be able to answer.  I was going to ask during my interview but we got talking about things and I forgot to ask. 

First, how long after I get baptised until I can receive a patriarchal blessing?  I've been searching for this info but haven't been able to find it.  And also, how long until I can be married in the temple?  Is it a year?  What kinds of callings are good for new members?  How soon until I will get a calling?

Thanks so much guys!

Hi. You sound like me when I was first baptized. I was anxious to jump right in there and learn and do everything that I could right away. To hurry up and be a "real" latter day saint instead of being constantly referred to as a convert.

I was baptized on Sunday, July 14, 2002 and recieved my first calling the following Wednesday. I still hold that calling plus one other. AFter 4 months I recieved my Patriarchial Blessing. Then in July of 2003 (1year and a few days after my baptism) I went to the temple for my endowments.

If I had it to do over the only thing that I would change would be to have listened to the missionaries who came to see me back in 1978. But at that time, the things they were trying to tell me sounded to rediculous and far fetched to my Methodist ears. I didn't come into contact with anymore Mormons until 20 years later, and no more missionaries until the March before I was baptized. I am telling you all this as an example to also follow the Spirit. The Spirit knew that I was not ready for the church until 2002, and so He did not make it available to me again until then. When you are ready for your callings, Patriarchial Blessing and Endowments, the Spirit will place the opportunities there for you and guide you through it. :D

Cyra

Yeah, right...