Elder Maxwell's address from 1978 - Follow the Prophet

Heather

"Discipleship includes good citizenship; and in this connection, if you are careful students of the statements of the modern prophets, you will have noticed that with rare exceptions--especially when the First Presidency has spoken out--the concerns expressed have been over moral issues, not issues between political parties. The declarations are about principles, not people, and causes, not candidates. On occasions, at other levels in the Church, a few have not been so discreet, so wise, or so inspired.

But make no mistake about it, brothers and sisters; in the months and years ahead, events will require of each member that he or she decide whether or not he or she will follow the First Presidency. Members will find it more difficult to halt longer between two opinions (see 1 Kings 18:21).

President Marion G. Romney said, many years ago, that he had "never hesitated to follow the counsel of the Authorities of the Church even though it crossed my social, professional, or political life" (CR, April 1941, p. 123). This is a hard doctrine, but it is a particularly vital doctrine in a society which is becoming more wicked. In short, brothers and sisters, not being ashamed of the gospel of Jesus Christ includes not being ashamed of the prophets of Jesus Christ.

We are now entering a period of incredible ironies. Let us cite but one of these ironies which is yet in its subtle stages: we shall see in our time a maximum if indirect effort made to establish irreligion as the state religion. It is actually a new form of paganism that uses the carefully preserved and cultivated freedoms of Western civilization to shrink freedom even as it rejects the value essence of our rich Judeo-Christian heritage. "

President Marion G. Romney said, many years ago, that he had "never hesitated to follow the counsel of the Authorities of the Church even though it crossed my social, professional, or political life" (CR, April 1941, p. 123). "

Don't forget.. Brigham Young also said:

"Some may say, Brethren, you who lead the church,

we have all confidence in you, we are not in the least

afraid but what everything will go right under your

superintendence; all the business matters will be

transacted right; and if Brother Brigham is satisfied

with it, I am. I do not wish any Latter-Day Saint in this

world, nor in heaven, to be satisfied with anything I do,

unless the spirit of the Lord Jesus Christ, the spirit of

revelation, makes them satisfied. I wish them to know

for themselves and understand for themselves, for this

would strengthen the faith that is in them.

Suppose that the people were heedless, that they manifested no

concern with regard to the things of the kingdom of

God, but threw the whole burden upon the leaders of

the people, saying, 'If the brethren who take charge of

matters are satisfied we are,' this is not pleasing in the

sight of the Lord." (J. D. 3:44- 45)

In other words, if you are looking for one of those churches that doesn't stand for something, this ain't it. If you want a church that makes you more popular in the world, skip this one. If you want a church that doesn't rock the boat, keep rowing.

The prophets have never been acceptable to the world and have always been condemned as evil doers.

-a-train

Personally.. to put so much faith in the "arm of flesh" is dangerous.

Brigham Young clearly stated that those who make it to the celestial kingdom must not "pin their faith on another's sleeve." He said that we must go forward with the independence of heaven and do what is right even though the whole world take an opposite course.

Joseph Smith once complained that the members minds were "darkened" because they relied on him for all their inspiration.

I believe that as one prays and studies the scriptures.. the Lord will give us the revelations we need to guide ourselves as long as we ask him for it.

What have the General Authorities and Prophets for the past 100 years said to us? Repent.. Repent.. Repent. Get your lives in order. Be prepared.. for no one knows the day or hour of the coming of Christ. They repeat the same message.

The sad part is that they have to repeat it at all. But we must be reminded. We had to be reminded that making homosexual marriages legal is wrong. Why do we have to be reminded of that? Why do you think that the 1st Presidency would have to say anything at all about it? It is obvious. There are many Saints who have been swayed to believe in the ways and doctrines of men... and have forgot the ways of God.

I will follow any Prophet or General Authority as long as the Holy Ghost testifies to me that the man speaking and what he is speaking.. comes from God. Man is fallible. General Authorities are fallible. The Prophet is fallible. They are human. Yes.. they are called by God to do his work but we also have been called to our responsibility as well.

D&C 9: 8-9

8 But, behold, I say unto you, that you must study• it out in your mind•; then you must ask• me if it be right, and if it is right I will cause that your bosom• shall burn• within you; therefore, you shall feel• that it is right.

9 But if it be not right you shall have no such feelings, but you shall have a stupor• of thought that shall cause you to forget the thing which is wrong; therefore, you cannot write that which is sacred• save it be given you from me.

Be prayerful. Joseph Smith said that God's way would be that every man is a Prophet. That they would know they could receive the same revelation, vision, or message from God and not need him to do it.

Just a word to the wise: Rely more on the relationship you have with the Lord.. than on the relationship of others and their relationship with God.

Definitely very timely. Within the past decade or two, how many protestant and evangelical churchs broke off because of moral issues? There are even some outlandish interpretations that Christ was gay.

The fruits of the wickedness of men are starting to blossom.

Let the fruits of the Spirit that is within us blossom even more.