Woah, not cool! 20,000 unit domestic army by 2011

DMUCMU

Guest Godless

The guard is funded/run by the state but isn't the Reserves federal?

Yes. But with our forces stretched so thin, Reserve and Active components have to be ready for domestic missions in addition to overseas deployments. For example, there were several Reserve and AD soldiers sent to Louisiana after Hurricane Katrina in '05 because there weren't enough Guard soldiers to do all the work that needed to be done.

Yes. But with our forces stretched so thin, Reserve and Active components have to be ready for domestic missions in addition to overseas deployments. For example, there were several Reserve and AD soldiers sent to Louisiana after Hurricane Katrina in '05 because there weren't enough Guard soldiers to do all the work that needed to be done.

I can see how the Reserves can be helpful at home when the guard is stretched thin (like your example) but if it isn't the primary mission the Reservists really should be surprised or upset by their deployments.( not saying you are personally)

According to the latest scoop, isn't Obama increasing the size of the military force?

Maybe it's a part of the recovery effort? Giving more people more jobs.

Of course if we pull out or reduce the troops serving in Iraq/ Afghanistan while increasing the size of the military "they" will have to find some reason to justify the added expense.:disenchanted::hmmm:

Guest Godless

I can see how the Reserves can be helpful at home when the guard is stretched thin (like your example) but if it isn't the primary mission the Reservists really should be surprised or upset by their deployments.( not saying you are personally)

No, it doesn't bother me. As a Reservist, my primary job is to supplement Active forces overseas and Guard forces at home. What bothers me is the fact that our obligations abroad are stretching us horribly thin. As of right now, we don't have the manpower to respond to any major situations that may arise either at home or abroad.

No, it doesn't bother me. As a Reservist, my primary job is to supplement Active forces overseas and Guard forces at home. What bothers me is the fact that our obligations abroad are stretching us horribly thin. As of right now, we don't have the manpower to respond to any major situations that may arise either at home or abroad.

That's a good assessment. So are you in favor of the increase in troops?