Comparing #10 cans at 2 prepareness food companies

chitchat

Here's a puzzle I hope someone can help me figure out:

Honeyvillegrains.com sells #10 diced freeze-dried apples for $17.49. The cans weigh a half pound and the ad says the can gives 32 - 1/4 cup servings.

Emergency Essentials sells #10 diced freeze-dried apples for $27.95. Their cans weighs a little over a half pound and the ad says the can gives 24 - 1/2 cup servings.

This makes no sense.

Has anyone here purchased #10 cans from both companies before? Does Emergency Essentials dice their food more finely than Honeyville so that more fits into a cup?

The prices are overall better at Honeyville and I'm told they use a 300 cc oxygen absorber in each can as opposed to the 150 oxygen absorber Emergency Essentials uses in their cans.

Can anyone figure out why there is such a discrepancy in the serving sizes of the same product in identical sized cans? This is confusing.

The #10 cans do measure 7" tall and 6" in diameter, right?

Edited by chitchat
addition

I like to hold manufacturers feet to the fire.

In this case, I would copy the claim of one and email it to the other, and copy the claim of the second, and email it to the first, and ask both, the exact question you pose to the forum (none of whom {the forum} will have the data needed to make a comparison). They may BOTH obtain their products from the same source, by the way. These guys are retailers, not manufacturers, as far as I can tell.

I am sure that you will hear from BOTH companies, and that they will explain carefully how they arrive at their totals. In your letter you should state that you are going to base your purchase on their answers, and that both companies have gotten the same letter.

I happen to believe that taking a little time to query a company about their product, can result in much information.

Also, consider contacting Oregon Freeze Dried Foods and getting a quote from them about the same product. They are the producers of most freeze dried products out there.

Good luck.

I like the stuff from both companies. Honeyvillegrains is cheaper on many things. Emergency Essentials has a bigger choice of items.

I have purchased fruit, vegetables, eggs, and some milk/whey from Honeyvillegrains. Emergency Essentials, I've purchased meats and other items.

I suggest purchasing a single can of things from Honeyvillegrain, try it out and see if you like it. If you do, then buy in bulk.

Rameumptom, since you've purchased from both companies - does it seem to you that the contents of some of Honeyville's #10 cans don't go as far?

Like you, I really like the prices at Honeyville. You're right that EE has a greater selection, but I do see alternative grains at Honeyville.

This is so tedious! :bawl:

(Forgive me. A temporary moment of insanity in the middle of a long day.) :animatedlol:

My husband looked over the two companies and he thinks that Honeyfarms sells the same size cans as Emergency Essentials. They add 300 cc to their cans which is good. They also have much better prices.

But as someone already mentioned, there are some things that Honeyfarms does not carry, so we'll be ordering from both I expect. I really like the descriptions that Honeyfarms puts on their site. It's helpful for a relative newbie like me.

• 3 months later...

In this case, I would copy the claim of one and email it to the other, and copy the claim of the second, and email it to the first, and ask both, the exact question you pose to the forum (none of whom {the forum} will have the data needed to make a comparison). They may BOTH obtain their products from the same source, by the way. These guys are retailers, not manufacturers, as far as I can tell.Also, consider contacting Oregon Freeze Dried Foods and getting a quote from them about the same product. They are the producers of most freeze dried products out there.

Good luck.

I'm curious ... did you ever send the emails ?