Kettlebells

Over43

I have started using these again after about a year and a half lay off. I started working a second job where I needed to "throw" freight, and the combination of the kettlebells and throwing the freight did a number on my lower back. They are a very simple device that look like a cannonball with a brief case handle. You can swing them, press them, do snatches or clean and jerk, Turkish get ups are a trick. They can be overhyped, but I think they are a worthwhile fitness tool. Currently I am using a 50 lbs. kettlebell for 20-30 minutes (swings, clean and jerks, the snatch, presses), 3-4 days a week and then finishing the workout off with using a 2 lbs. heavy rope. I love them in the summer because I can go outside in a pair of shorts and barefeet and workout and get some sun as well.

Here are some links that I get no compensation from:

Exercise, kettlebell strength training, conditioning, diet and health: the ultimate fitness workout

KettleBell Concepts

Take Care,

Jon

I love them, and I use one all the time. They provide excellent strength training and cause me to really sweat. As a woman, there's no way I can bulk up without using steroids because a woman's body isn't designed that way. Besides, it's a great way to reduce the risk of osteoporosis by building up bone density.

Excellent. I'm trying to get my wife to use them, we have a 9 lbs. one and an 18 lbs. one at home (as well as one 50 lbs, and 88 lbs.). She's had two back surgeries so she is a bit gunshy. But they are a very good stand alone fitness device that take up a minimum of space and provide an intense workout in a minimum amount of time.

Jon

I have looked at them online before and they have them at the gym where I workout. They look like fun but I have yet to try them. Straight leg deadlifts are my current favorite exercise.

Ben Raines

Hey Ben give them a try. You can do the stright legged deadlift with them. When doing "the swing", snatch, or clean and jerk, you get a very good combination of cardiovascular training as well as strength training.

Jon

• 1 year later...

I use them frequently in my Crossfit workouts. I was addicted to them for 18 months. I moved up from a 35lb, to a 45lb, then two 64lbs, to the 82 pounder. My favorite was doing the bear crawl across a 100yd football field. Every time I stopped to rest my core and arms I would do 20 swings.