Hill Cumorah Expedition Team

john doe

Some think that Ogham predates Christianity and is derived from a Chalcidic form of the Greek language - how far back they suppose it goes I dunno. However, most authorities think it comes from the Roman alphabet.

Interestingly, it was used as a secret language, possibly to communicate druidic free-masonry. So maybe Mormon was a druid freemason on the side.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest curvette

Originally posted by Jenda@Jan 29 2005, 09:46 PM

Many scholars believe that Ogam is one of the original languages of man, that it is originally a Mediterranian/Middle Eastern language, and that it was taken to Ireland by missionaries spreading the word of Christ there.

Reformed Egyptian?

Originally posted by curvette+Jan 30 2005, 10:32 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (curvette @ Jan 30 2005, 10:32 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Jenda@Jan 29 2005, 09:46 PM

Many scholars believe that Ogam is one of the original languages of man, that it is originally a Mediterranian/Middle Eastern language, and that it was taken to Ireland by missionaries spreading the word of Christ there.

Reformed Egyptian?

Reformed Egyptian is the changes the Nephite scribes made to regular Egyptian to make it more conducive to their needs. Therefore, it is not something that will be found outside of the BoM.

Originally posted by Jenda+Jan 30 2005, 10:59 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Jenda @ Jan 30 2005, 10:59 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by -curvette@Jan 30 2005, 10:32 AM

<!--QuoteBegin--Jenda@Jan 29 2005, 09:46 PM

Reformed Egyptian?

Reformed Egyptian is the changes the Nephite scribes made to regular Egyptian to make it more conducive to their needs. Therefore, it is not something that will be found outside of the BoM.

Where, in the BoM, is an example of this Reformed Egyptian? I don't mean the mention of it in English, I mean a sample of the writing.

Actually, I shouldn't toy with you that way. There is a sampling of that writing that was presented to Prof. Anthon, and which the church has the original. The figures have been inspected by Egyptologist. They have found absolutely no resemblence to Egyptian heiroglyphics--quite a startling fact in light of the fact that that it was supposed to be reformed. Apparently the reformation was really complete.

Originally posted by Snow+Jan 29 2005, 06:59 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Snow @ Jan 29 2005, 06:59 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Blessed@Jan 29 2005, 04:41 PM

I bet people thought Jospeh Smith was not a mouthpiece of God either.  Little did they know.

God will use whom He will use and He tends to use though who are more willing to take an abuse.

So Blessed,

You think that God has called Kevin to be his mouthpiece like He called Joseph Smith to be his mouthpiece?

Tell us about that.

Snow, you deny that Kevin COULD be a mouthpiece for God? Tell us about that? ;)

Originally posted by Cal+Jan 30 2005, 01:44 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Cal @ Jan 30 2005, 01:44 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by -Jenda@Jan 30 2005, 10:59 AM

Originally posted by -curvette@Jan 30 2005, 10:32 AM

<!--QuoteBegin--Jenda@Jan 29 2005, 09:46 PM

Reformed Egyptian?

Where, in the BoM, is an example of this Reformed Egyptian? I don't mean the mention of it in English, I mean a sample of the writing.

Actually, I shouldn't toy with you that way. There is a sampling of that writing that was presented to Prof. Anthon, and which the church has the original. The figures have been inspected by Egyptologist. They have found absolutely no resemblence to Egyptian heiroglyphics--quite a startling fact in light of the fact that that it was supposed to be reformed. Apparently the reformation was really complete.

I was explaining to Curvette (although her post might have been tongue-in-cheek) that Ogam couldn't be Reformed Egyptian, and why.

So let's keep this discussion on topic. OK?

Guest curvette

Okay, so I'm still confused. If Ogam is not reformed Egyptian (the language the Book of Mormon was written in), what could it possibly have to do with the Hill Cumorah? Since Moroni had access to Jaradite writings, are they theorizing that Ogam may have been the Jaradite written language?

Originally posted by Blessed+Jan 30 2005, 06:59 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Blessed @ Jan 30 2005, 06:59 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by -Snow@Jan 29 2005, 06:59 PM

<!--QuoteBegin--Blessed@Jan 29 2005, 04:41 PM

I bet people thought Jospeh Smith was not a mouthpiece of God either.  Little did they know.

God will use whom He will use and He tends to use though who are more willing to take an abuse.

So Blessed,

You think that God has called Kevin to be his mouthpiece like He called Joseph Smith to be his mouthpiece?

Tell us about that.

I don't deny that he could, just that in all likelihood, he ain't.

Again, I ask you to tell us why you think he is or may be. Has the Spirit so informed you, or do you know something about The Book of Mormon and Ogham or what?

IMO, the Jaredites were Sumerian in origin and at the time of the tower of Babel, they traveled across the Indus Valley ending up in China. There they intermixed with the Chinese and traveled over to the new world. It is possible that Ogam is the original language of man - before God confounded the language. They were however, part Chinese, which gives us the Chinese ideograms and the Afro-Asian Olmec megalith heads. This is of course IMO. I'll throw it in - you can throw it back out if you choose.

KB

Originally posted by Snow+Jan 30 2005, 10:13 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Snow @ Jan 30 2005, 10:13 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by -Blessed@Jan 30 2005, 06:59 PM

Originally posted by -Snow@Jan 29 2005, 06:59 PM

<!--QuoteBegin--Blessed@Jan 29 2005, 04:41 PM

So Blessed,

Tell us about that.

I don't deny that he could, just that in all likelihood, he ain't.

Again, I ask you to tell us why you think he is or may be. Has the Spirit so informed you, or do you know something about The Book of Mormon and Ogham or what?

I never said he was, may be or couldn't be. You chose to read something in my posts. I just find it interesting that this has come forth. Whether it is actually BoM related I know not, but I do know God will bring the library forth. And it won't be by peopple who are sitting on their duffs, but by those who are looking.

• 8 months later...

It doesn't appear to me that they are any nearer their goal this year than last. I may have missed it by skimming, but I didn't see anywhere that they even figured out how to get to these caves they keep talking about. Just how un-resourceful are these guys? They take a year to think about it, but still don't have any ideas when they show up? Do they think a door at the bottom of the hill is just going to magically open up some time when they happen to be there?

I think these are very earnest people, looking for something they have no idea how to locate.

Hi, Blessed. :) We spoke briefly at ibimiracles campfire.

Ogham is not a lanuage, per se. It is a way of writing. Ogham can and has been used t write many languages. Obviously, that could mean it has ancient origins, but it does not necessarily mean that.

I agree that it is time to unseal the cave. Yet, I don't go down there. Put up or shut up, I suppose. It is not an easy thing to meet your maker. The library is of profound importance. If it is there, the world must change. If it is not, their world must change. Either way, I cannot condemn their pace.

Originally posted by k3n54n@Oct 9 2005, 05:27 AM

Hi, Blessed. :)  We spoke briefly at ibimiracles campfire.

Ogham is not a lanuage, per se.  It is a way of writing.  Ogham can and has been used t write many languages.  Obviously, that could mean it has ancient origins, but it does not necessarily mean that.

I agree that it is time to unseal the cave.  Yet, I don't go down there.  Put up or shut up, I suppose.  It is not an easy thing to meet your maker.  The library is of profound importance.  If it is there, the world must change.  If it is not, their world must change.  Either way, I cannot condemn their pace.

Does that mean that you place some credence in all this?

Snow asks:

I put great credence in the truth of the Book of Mormon, and the existence of the other records.

I believe that the people involved are people of faith, and I believe their testimonies are heartfelt.

I would expect that the new records would be found not by a prophet, as was the case with the BoM, but by a researcher, someone looking for them. This group seems to fit that criteria.

I believe that these are the last days, the time for such things to come forth.

I view this expedition not as truth, but as a reasonable exercise. It may or may not pan out. Many people are frustrated with the slow nature of the progress, but, in the end, since I am not really helping, I have nothing to complain about.

Guest Member_Deleted

Originally posted by k3n54n@Oct 10 2005, 12:15 AM

Snow asks:

I put great credence in the truth of the Book of Mormon, and the existence of the other records. 

I believe that the people involved are people of faith, and I believe their testimonies are heartfelt. 

I would expect that the new records would be found not by a prophet, as was the case with the BoM, but by a researcher, someone looking for them. This group seems to fit that criteria.

I believe that these are the last days, the time for such things to come forth.

I view this expedition not as truth, but as a reasonable exercise.  It may or may not pan out.  Many people are frustrated with the slow nature of the progress, but, in the end, since I am not really helping, I have nothing to complain about.

I'm with you. It will be discovered in the Lord's own good time... but in the mean time it is exciting to know someone is searching... after all isn't that what we are supposed to do to receive..??

Joseph Smith would have never received what he did if it weren't for his searching..