Using the Attic

DansRib

Dan, if you put up some installation, you could keep the temperatures in better control up there couldn't you? It would also help to keep the rest of your house either warm or cool as well.

If you didn't want to put insulation up in the whole attic, maybe you could come up with some type of design for a small compartment of some sort.

If not, I suppose you could always store water up there...

Edited by GingerGolden

Dry goods..... flour.. rice, beans wheatetc.... paper goods TP, first aid supplies.... soaps..... pet food.... Duct tape, plastic sheeting.... batteries..... flashlights........ sterno cans store well anywhere dry...... blankets.. powdered milk ( dry good ) wow so many things ...

I think if all are sealed properly they will be ok..... Provident living is a great site for this

• 4 weeks later...

dry goods: Items that do not require special methods for storage. Dry goods are NON-food items. Usually textiles, such as blankets, bolt cloths, towels, and such (also called "soft goods"). Also can include tools, but those are "durable items".

Does not include beans.

Storing water: make sure if you store a significant amount up there that your support is adequate: a gallon of water weighs about 8 pounds, so 500 gallons weighs in around 4,000 pounds. 150 gallons weighs about 1200 pounds (a little more than half a ton). Be very careful about how you stress your ceiling joists, bearing walls, and such.

Edited by hankpac

• 1 month later...

Our grandparents made jerky by hanging meat on wires strung in the attic. Had to use lots of pepper to keep flies and wasps off, but it worked.

Temperatures in the attic may get hot enough to effect nutrients in stored food over time, but it will take quite a long time if the food is properly canned or otherwise stored in sealed containers. Your whole-house fan will help to even out the temperature swings and so minimize any potential damage. Winter temps, if below freezing, may also be a problem if stored things have any liquid that will freeze and burst the container.

Get a max/min recording thermometer at the local hardware store and put it up there to see just what temps you're getting. They are fairly inexpensive and a useful tool.

• 1 month later...

I wouldn't think that attic storage is a good idea for anything that would be consumed. Paper products ok.

Here in California the summer heat in the attic will reach 180-200 degrees. Food will degrade at that temp.

I would also be concerned about the weight of water and could the joists take the weight per square foot at 8 pounds per gallon it adds up quickly. Sterno or propane, WOW, I would be concerned about expansion under heat especially the sterno with only preasure fit lids.

A possible solution would be to enclose a part of the attic (a mini room) and insulate, then connect your house duct work into the inclosure to assist in regulating the temp. Thinking about it, double insulate.