Plain And Precious Truths?

Jason

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by ExMormon-Jason@Feb 28 2005, 09:53 PM

If I may remark on your avatar, Jason ..................... It reminds me of something out of Resident Evil.

Oh yeah? Well your's reminds me of "Zorro and the Gay blade"! B)

Well, now that we have settled that ..............................

Back to the discussion at hand. :D

Originally posted by ExMormon-Jason@Feb 28 2005, 12:32 PM

OK. First of all, thanks to the Mod team for removing my "moderated" status. Makes things much easier for me.

Now on to the purpose of this thread. What teaching has the Book of Mormon specifically restored that was not in the Bible? And how is this a plain and precious truth of the Gospel of Christ?

Thanks.

Plain and precious truths that is not found in the Bible.

*That God lead righteous people to a land of promise.

*That he called prophets among those men.

*That he taught the Gospel to those far away from Jerusalem

*That the resurected Savior visited them and taught them

*It provides an added witness of the veracity of the Bible

Plain and precious truths that is not found in the Bible.

*That God lead righteous people to a land of promise.

God lead Israel to the Promised Land.

*That he called prophets among those men.

Ditto for the Bible.

*That he taught the Gospel to those far away from Jerusalem

See the missionary journeys of St. Paul.

*That the resurected Savior visited them and taught them

Yep, also in the Bible.

*It provides an added witness of the veracity of the Bible

Besides the fact that the Church is the additional witness of Scripture, how is that a plain and precious truth?

Im seriously disappointed thus far. PD and Sethus have tried to offer something of substance, but nobody else has given any reason whatsoever that the BoM has reintroduced anything significant. :(

Originally posted by ExMormon-Jason@Mar 1 2005, 12:57 AM

continuing revelation?

Got it. See the various Creeds and Fathers and Saints of the Orthodox Church.

the purpose and way to gain charity? more?

How does that differ from the Bible?

But for our day, with the way the churches of the day are preaching, continued revelation isn't doctrine taught from these bible thumping teachers.

As for charity, where in the bible does it tell you how to gain charity?

But for our day, with the way the churches of the day are preaching, continued revelation isn't doctrine taught from these bible thumping teachers.

You're talking about Protestants here. Orthodox are not Protestants. We still believe the Promises of Christ to the Church are still in full effect (see St. John, fourteenth chapter.)

Please clarify.

Originally posted by ExMormon-Jason@Mar 1 2005, 01:13 AM

You're talking about Protestants here. Orthodox are not Protestants. We still believe the Promises of Christ to the Church are still in full effect (see St. John, fourteenth chapter.)

Please clarify.

Well a second on that doesn't hurt does it? The bofm is a second for all correct teachings in the Bible.

Charity; where in the bible does it teach specifically what it takes to receive charity?

Well a second on that doesn't hurt does it? The bofm is a second for all correct teachings in the Bible.

No a second wouldn't hurt. However, that's not what we're talking about here. This is not the "multiple witnesses" thread. This is the "what's missing from the Bible that the BoM has?" thread.

Charity; where in the bible does it teach specifically what it takes to receive charity?

Will you please give me a BoM quote so that I can compare? Thanks.

Originally posted by ExMormon-Jason@Mar 1 2005, 12:09 PM

No a second wouldn't hurt. However, that's not what we're talking about here. This is not the "multiple witnesses" thread. This is the "what's missing from the Bible that the BoM has?" thread.

Will you please give me a BoM quote so that I can compare? Thanks.

Moroni 7 is just a start. Actually the BofM is replete with teachings of this. It is the most comprehensive manuel on receiving charity on the planet. This process if found through out the BofM. Enos received it, the people being taught by King Benjamin were taught how to receive it, Alma taught it many times.

From Moroni 7:45-47

"And charity suffereth long, and is kind, and envieth not, and is not puffed up, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil, and rejoiceth not in iniquity but rejoiceth in the truth, beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things. Wherefore, my beloved brethren, if ye have not charity, ye are nothing, for charity never faileth. Wherefore, cleave unto charity, which is the greatest of all, for all things must fail— But charity is the pure love of Christ, and it endureth forever; and whoso is found possessed of it at the last day, it shall be well with him."

Now you used this as an example of what it takes to receive Charity. Please compare this to the words of Saint Paul:

"Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal. And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing. And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing. Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up, Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil; Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth; Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things. Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away. For we know in part, and we prophesy in part. But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away. When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things. For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known. And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity."

I ask you Amilia, what could be more simple, and yet be more through an explanation of Charity that this?

Guest curvette

Originally posted by ExMormon-Jason@Feb 28 2005, 05:29 PM

Does anybody get what Im saying here? Baptism is a teaching found in the Holy Bible. The Book of Mormon has not added anything to that knowlege. Therefore it has not contributed to the understanding of the Gospel as preached by Christianity for 2000 years.

I totally get what you're saying. Baptism by immersion IS taught and modeled by Jesus in the New Testament (but completely absent in the Old Testament.) The BOM records baptism occuring centuries BEFORE New Testament times which, I think, is uniquely LDS doctrine. This "pre Christian era" baptism is considered by LDS a "plain and precious truth" because it illustrates the LDS belief that human beings have fallen into apostasy many times throughout history, which would make the doctrine of the restoration more understandable.

I can't remember your history with the church, but only that you used to be LDS. Were you a convert for only a short time or were you well versed in LDS doctrine and history?

I totally get what you're saying. Baptism by immersion IS taught and modeled by Jesus in the New Testament (but completely absent in the Old Testament.)

Whew. I was afraid I had lost everyone.

The BOM records baptism occuring centuries BEFORE New Testament times which, I think, is uniquely LDS doctrine.

Not sure about that.

This "pre Christian era" baptism is considered by LDS a "plain and precious truth" because it illustrates the LDS belief that human beings have fallen into apostasy many times throughout history, which would make the doctrine of the restoration more understandable.

Apostasy or no, I still fail to see how this could be construed as a "plain and precious" part of the Gospel. It's history. True or no, it's not Gospel. (Unless you consider the endless genealogies of the OT as plain and precious as well...)

I can't remember your history with the church, but only that you used to be LDS. Were you a convert for only a short time or were you well versed in LDS doctrine and history?

Born and raised, multi-generation, RM, Temple marriage, former seminary teacher, blah, blah, blah.

Originally posted by ExMormon-Jason@Mar 1 2005, 01:34 PM

From Moroni 7:45-47

"And charity suffereth long, and is kind, and envieth not, and is not puffed up, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil, and rejoiceth not in iniquity but rejoiceth in the truth, beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things. Wherefore, my beloved brethren, if ye have not charity, ye are nothing, for charity never faileth. Wherefore, cleave unto charity, which is the greatest of all, for all things must fail— But charity is the pure love of Christ, and it endureth forever; and whoso is found possessed of it at the last day, it shall be well with him."

Now you used this as an example of what it takes to receive Charity. Please compare this to the words of Saint Paul:

"Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal. And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing. And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing. Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up, Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil; Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth; Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things. Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away. For we know in part, and we prophesy in part. But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away. When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things. For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known. And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity."

I ask you Amilia, what could be more simple, and yet be more through an explanation of Charity that this?

WRONG! You didn't get the right part.

Originally posted by ExMormon-Jason@Mar 1 2005, 10:23 PM

WRONG! You didn't get the right part.

First, you don't have to yell. Second, rather than make me guess, why don't you put forth some effort and explain it. <_<

Sorry. I was called away in the middle of my post and left it in less than prime condition. I didn't mean to have it sound like I was yelling.

I was explaining it when I got called away and my son closed the window before I finished what I was writing. Again, sorry.

First, there is a scripture in

1 Tim. 1: 5 which states:

5 Now the end of the commandment is charity out of a pure heart, and of a good conscience, and of faith unfeigned:

But one must ask, "Obedience to what commandment brings charity as the end result"?

I will use Moroni 7 to illustrate this answer:

47 But charity is the pure love of Christ, and it endureth forever; and whoso is found possessed of it at the last day, it shall be well with him.

48 Wherefore, my beloved brethren, pray unto the Father with all the energy of heart, that ye may be filled with this love, which he hath bestowed upon all who are <span style='color:red'>true followers of his Son, Jesus Christ; that ye may become the sons of God; that when he shall appear we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is; that we may have this hope; that we may be purified even as he is pure. Amen.

Cross reference these with:

32 Yea, come unto Christ, and be perfected in him, and deny yourselves of all ungodliness; and if ye shall deny yourselves of all ungodliness, and love God with all your might, mind and strength, then is his grace sufficient for you, that by his grace ye may be perfect in Christ; and if by the grace of God ye are perfect in Christ, ye can in nowise deny the power of God.

33 And again, if ye by the grace of God are perfect in Christ, and deny not his power, then are ye sanctified in Christ by the grace of God, through the shedding of the blood of Christ, which is in the covenant of the Father unto the remission of your sins, that ye become holy, without spot.

Add to this:

Mosiah 4:

10 And again, believe that ye must repent of your sins and forsake them, and humble yourselves before God; and ask in sincerity of heart that he would forgive you; and now, if you believe all these things see that ye do them.

11 And again I say unto you as I have said before, that as ye have come to the knowledge of the glory of God, or if ye have known of his goodness and have tasted of his love, and have received a remission of your sins, which causeth such exceedingly great joy in your souls, even so I would that ye should remember, and always retain in remembrance, the greatness of God, and your own nothingness, and his goodness and long-suffering towards you, unworthy creatures, and humble yourselves even in the depths of humility, calling on the name of the Lord daily, and standing steadfastly in the faith of that which is to come, which was spoken by the mouth of the angel.

12 And behold, I say unto you that if ye do this ye shall always rejoice, and be filled with the love of God, and always retain a remission of your sins; and ye shall grow in the knowledge of the glory of him that created you, or in the knowledge of that which is just and true.13 And ye will not have a mind to injure one another, but to live peaceably, and to render to every man according to that which is his due.

14 And ye will not suffer your children that they go hungry, or naked; neither will ye suffer that they transgress the laws of God, and fight and quarrel one with another, and serve the devil, who is the master of sin, or who is the evil spirit which hath been spoken of by our fathers, he being an enemy to all righteousness.

15 But ye will teach them to walk in the ways of truth and soberness; ye will teach them to love one another, and to serve one another.

16 And also, ye yourselves will succor those that stand in need of your succor; ye will administer of your substance unto him that standeth in need; and ye will not suffer that the beggar putteth up his petition to you in vain, and turn him out to perish.

There is lots more, enough to fill a book ~ like the bofm--- ;)

Anyway, it teaches one that they must repent, be baptised, made perfect in Christ through the atonement, then pray to be filled with the Love of God or charity the pure love of Christ ~ and through His love you will be able to love one another, have a disposition to do no evil and have all the characteristics listed under what charity is.

One more:

Mosiah 27: 25

25 And the Lord said unto me: Marvel not that all mankind, yea, men and women, all nations, kindreds, tongues and people, must be born again; yea, born of God, changed from their carnal and dfallen state, to a state of righteousness, being redeemed of God, becoming his sons and daughters;

Being born again, or gaining charity, or becoming sons and daughters of God, being perfect/perfected, or becoming righteous ~ are all the same thing. You are changed through the power of God's love filling you. I call it the last step of repentence. Without it, you will fall back into old habits weaker than you were before you tried to repent.

jason, your definition of "plain and precious" seems to be more like "plain, precious, and completely new and groundbreaking in a manner that will definitely change everything i had previously conceived about obtaining salvation". it just seems to me like you're looking beyond the mark, similar to how Jacob explained the jews had done which caused them to reject Christ (Jacob 4).

to me, all light, knowledge, and truth is plain and precious

thus, every truth in the BoM is plain and precious. I'll list a few other truths, which of course are plain and precious, though you might refuse to acknowledge them as such:

-the priesthood of God is greatly clarified and expounded upon in the BoM

-the resurrection is made very clear and simple

-a greater understanding of the atonement and God's mercy towards his children is available from study of the BoM

-the order of the ordinances of baptism and the sacrament

-the salvation of children and the evil of infant-baptism (if you don't think this is plain and precious...)

-an understanding of the fall of adam and that men are not born under original sin. an understanding that Adam's fall was really an essential part of the plan of salvation and that it was actually an immense blessing is, i don't believe, found in the Bible

you will see glimpses of understanding of these things gleaned from the Bible in the thousands of different Christian denominations around the world. however, these thousands of denominations have used the Bible to come up with very, very different understandings of all this doctrine. these things are all made plain in the BoM. a study in the BoM of these topics which are found in the Bible will make them very plain, and indeed precious, where as history shows that a study of these topics in the Bible alone did not make these topics plain, but rather a source of vast disagreement between the peoples of the world.

5 Now the end of the commandment is charity out of a pure heart, and of a good conscience, and of faith unfeigned:

But one must ask, "Obedience to what commandment brings charity as the end result"?

Anyway, it teaches one that they must repent, be baptised, made perfect in Christ through the atonement, then pray to be filled with the Love of God or charity the pure love of Christ ~ and through His love you will be able to love one another, have a disposition to do no evil and have all the characteristics listed under what charity is.

Okay. This passage is not talking about some mysterious unknown commandment as you suggest. While it's sometimes hard to understand KJV English, the phrase "the end of the commandment" is better translated "the purpose of the commandments". This includes those of faith, repentance, baptism, Chrismation (gift of Holy Ghost), taking the Eucharist (sacrament), etc.

Saint Paul is writing under a presupposition, that is, writing to Timothy who already understands these things, and is trying to encourage him to cease his sinful ways and continue on with his mission.

If you keep reading the letter to Timothy, you will see that this verse, when put into context, goes on to warn those who deviate from the truth of the Gospel of Christ, and culminates in verse 19 with: "Holding faith, and a good conscience; which some having put a way concerning faith have made a shipwreck." You can then compare this to Paul's second letter to Timothy where he adds: "Flee also youthful lusts: but follow righteousness, faith, charity, peace, with them that call on the Lord out of a pure heart." (2 Tim 2:22)

Saint Paul is trying to encourage Timothy (and everyone else) to cultivate faith and charity out of a pure heart, as opposed to those whose hearts are not pure, and do things for other purposes like the apostates Hymenaeus and Alexander whom he mentions at the end of 1 Tim 1.

Now out of those verses you've posted, there is, perhaps, one original concept: "But charity is the pure love of Christ..."

Now while this may seen entirely original to the BoM, I would ask: "Will not one who has the pure love of Christ then bear the fruit of this love, including charity?"

Or to put in another way, one who has the pure love of Christ will offer the single greatest act of Charity: "Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends." (St. John 15:13)

So you could say that the Gospel of St. John goes even one step further than you have suggested in presenting the connection between love and charity.

jason, your definition of "plain and precious" seems to be more like "plain, precious, and completely new and groundbreaking in a manner that will definitely change everything i had previously conceived about obtaining salvation". it just seems to me like you're looking beyond the mark, similar to how Jacob explained the jews had done which caused them to reject Christ (Jacob 4).

Thank God Im not a Jew! ;)

Seriously though, what Im asking for is a defense/apology for the claim of the Book of Mormon that it is restoring the plain and precious truths lost in the Bible. Thus far, nobody has brought anything significant that will affect the salvation of anyone. Your Joseph Smith stated: "I told the brethren that the Book of Mormon was the most correct of any book on earth...and a man would get nearer to God by abiding by its precepts, than by any other book." So far, this claim has not been substantiated by any of the believers of this Book.

to me, all light, knowledge, and truth is plain and precious

I agree.

-the priesthood of God is greatly clarified and expounded upon in the BoM

In any signficant way? Explain?

-the resurrection is made very clear and simple

The BoM is entire silent on the events of Christ's passion and resurrections. Unless the book of 3rd Nephi has been changed since I last read it. Please defend your statement.

-a greater understanding of the atonement and God's mercy towards his children is available from study of the BoM

How?

-the order of the ordinances of baptism and the sacrament

Which are found in the New Testament.

-the salvation of children and the evil of infant-baptism (if you don't think this is plain and precious...)

I don't thing baptism at any age is evil, and neither has the Church since Christ. This may be the first unique teaching of the BoM (although it was taught by Anabaptists centuries before Joseph Smith...).

-an understanding of the fall of adam and that men are not born under original sin. an understanding that Adam's fall was really an essential part of the plan of salvation and that it was actually an immense blessing is, i don't believe, found in the Bible.

The second unique teaching of the BoM. The fall was a great travisty. And it was not necessary. As for original sin, that's a unique Roman Catholic doctrine (that somehow invaded 3rd century America too!)

you will see glimpses of understanding of these things gleaned from the Bible in the thousands of different Christian denominations around the world. however, these thousands of denominations have used the Bible to come up with very, very different understandings of all this doctrine. these things are all made plain in the BoM. a study in the BoM of these topics which are found in the Bible will make them very plain, and indeed precious, where as history shows that a study of these topics in the Bible alone did not make these topics plain, but rather a source of vast disagreement between the peoples of the world.

Thankfully, I believe in Church Tradition, which are the oral teachings of the Church: "Therefore, brethren, stand fast, and hold the traditions which ye have been taught, whether by word, or our epistle." (2 Thess 2:15)

Church Tradition through the inspired writings of the Fathers has helped Orthodoxy avoid the problems of Western Christianity (whether Roman Catholic, Protestant, or neo-Protestant).

Originally posted by ExMormon-Jason@Mar 2 2005, 01:19 PM

Okay. This passage is not talking about some mysterious unknown commandment as you suggest. While it's sometimes hard to understand KJV English, the phrase "the end of the commandment" is better translated "the purpose of the commandments". This includes those of faith, repentance, baptism, Chrismation (gift of Holy Ghost), taking the Eucharist (sacrament), etc.

Saint Paul is writing under a presupposition, that is, writing to Timothy who already understands these things, and is trying to encourage him to cease his sinful ways and continue on with his mission.

If you keep reading the letter to Timothy, you will see that this verse, when put into context, goes on to warn those who deviate from the truth of the Gospel of Christ, and culminates in verse 19 with: "Holding faith, and a good conscience; which some having put a way concerning faith have made a shipwreck." You can then compare this to Paul's second letter to Timothy where he adds: "Flee also youthful lusts: but follow righteousness, faith, charity, peace, with them that call on the Lord out of a pure heart." (2 Tim 2:22)

Saint Paul is trying to encourage Timothy (and everyone else) to cultivate faith and charity out of a pure heart, as opposed to those whose hearts are not pure, and do things for other purposes like the apostates Hymenaeus and Alexander whom he mentions at the end of 1 Tim 1.

Now out of those verses you've posted, there is, perhaps, one original concept: "But charity is the pure love of Christ..."

Now while this may seen entirely original to the BoM, I would ask: "Will not one who has the pure love of Christ then bear the fruit of this love, including charity?"

Or to put in another way, one who has the pure love of Christ will offer the single greatest act of Charity: "Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends." (St. John 15:13)

So you could say that the Gospel of St. John goes even one step further than you have suggested in presenting the connection between love and charity.

Actually you could pull together a lot of scriptures after the fact, which seem to have the message and understanding, and it works, after the fact. That is why we need the BofM in order to come to the "after the fact".

Also, with the knowledge given in the BofM, we learn that this love is part of the rebirth process because of the dream recorded in 1 Nephi about the tree and river and fountain and Alma's writings as well as King Benjamin's and Moroni and Mormon's.

(also found in Moroni 7) we know that it is also the oil in the lamps and the extra vials mentioned in the parable of the 10 virgins. They had to have charity in order to endure to end and be ready when the Bridegroom came. Many think it is good works and faith, but it isn't. It is charity.

Now I have heard that there are several different kinds of love spoken of in the Bible but only the word love is used to cover it. Therefore the need to know that the pure love of Christ is charity and charity is the pure love of Christ and not just family love, romantic love, or brotherly love, is important; even fundamental.

Once charity is defined as the pure love of Christ or the love of God, everything else seems to fall into place. For instance we know, because of these pieces to the puzzel that charity is required to be like Christ or exit in the Name of I AM or Jehovah, both meaning to exist. Without charity we are nothing or non-existent.

No one has ever understood 1 Cor. 13:1-3 until charity's true and full identity and source were known through this BofM scripture , we can't possibly understand these teachings correctly.

Add all of the other scriptures found in the BofM and one can finally understand exactly what is expected of them and how it can be accomplished.

Actually you could pull together a lot of scriptures after the fact, which seem to have the message and understanding, and it works, after the fact. That is why we need the BofM in order to come to the "after the fact".

Maybe a Protestant would need the BoM, since they've cut themselves from 1500 years of the Church's teachings, but Orthodox (and even Catholics) don't. Course, Joseph Smith came from a Protestant background, being a Methodist and all, so that explains what was missing in his life...

Also, with the knowledge given in the BofM, we learn that this love is part of the rebirth process because of the dream recorded in 1 Nephi about the tree and river and fountain and Alma's writings as well as King Benjamin's and Moroni and Mormon's.  (also found in Moroni 7) we know that it is also the oil in the lamps and the extra vials mentioned in the parable of the 10 virgins. They had to have charity in order to endure to end and be ready when the Bridegroom came. Many think it is good works and faith, but it isn't. It is charity. 

Love is a given in the Gospel. I don't understand why you would think otherwise, or that the BoM has offered some revelation on the subject.

Now I have heard that there are several different kinds of love spoken of in the Bible but only the word love is used to cover it. Therefore the need to know that the pure love of Christ is charity and charity is the pure love of Christ and not just family love, romantic love, or brotherly love, is important; even fundamental.

Love is love. There is no such thing as love vs true love. Christ is the finest example of Charity, and of course, we are commanded to be like Christ. Again, the BoM offers no new insight here.

No one has ever understood 1 Cor. 13:1-3 until charity's true and full identity and source were known through this BofM scripture , we can't possibly understand these teachings correctly.

If you read the next few verses, you understand the teachings correctly. Keyword here: Context.

Add all of the other scriptures found in the BofM and one can finally understand exactly what is expected of them and how it can be accomplished.

When Christ said: "come and follow me" (St. Matt 19:21) that both fully and comprehensively explains what is expected. The Book of Mormon does nothing to add to that most pure and holy command.

Thus far, speedomansam is the only one who has found teachings in the BoM that are not in the Bible. So the count is up to two.