Happy Tax Day!

Just_A_Guy

Great site! Notice, that in 1913, the only people legally bound to file were those making over $3000 (over $100,000 today)! Then, they paid ONE PERCENT! Buy 1917, complications had multiplied dramatically. People making over $2 Million (Over $67 Million today), in 1917 would pay SIXTY THREE PERCENT!

-a-train

Edited by a-train

In all my research, I can't find a single line in the constitution that says you have to pay Federal Income Taxes to anything other than Federal Income. So, unless you get your paycheck from the federal government, you don't owe federal income tax.

Of course, you would still owe state taxes, property taxes, death taxes, gift taxes, sales taxes, and every other piece of tax your government bleeds off of you... just not Federal Income Tax.

Crazy, huh?

Did you read the Sixteenth Amendment?

Right, I got this one. Then, there should be accompanying bills or some such that specifies which sources these are and that your non-Federal income is now subject to taxation. I find corporate taxes, business taxes, capital gains taxes, gift taxes, death taxes, dividend taxes, even winnings but no income except Federal income...

Right, I got this one. Then, there should be accompanying bills or some such that specifies which sources these are and that your non-Federal income is now subject to taxation. I find corporate taxes, business taxes, capital gains taxes, gift taxes, death taxes, dividend taxes, even winnings but no income except Federal income...

Oh, you mean like Title 26, Subtitle A, Chapter 1, Subchapter B, Part I, Section 61 of the United States Code?

The IRS has a nice (if somewhat legalistic) summary of anti-tax arguments (and their refutations) here.

See also this article, which contains a rather lengthy section on tax protesters and the case law that refutes their arguments.

Edited by Just_A_Guy

Oh, you mean like Title 26, Subtitle A, Chapter 1, Subchapter B, Part I, Section 61 of the United States Code?

The IRS has a nice (if somewhat legalistic) summary of anti-tax arguments (and their refutations) here.

See also this article, which contains a rather lengthy section on tax protesters and the case law that refutes their arguments.

Thanks a bunch JAG! I'll go read up on these tonight. Yeah, I was completely looking for Title something-or-other Chapter something-or-other of some official United States Congress document.

I'm Filipino, but I am currently living in the US, working for a company in Germany. Isn't that crazy? So, I had to go figure out who I need to pay taxes to!