Whole Grain Oxygen Debate

Corwhy

I’m looking for insight into the whole grain in oxygen versus no oxygen debate. There seems to be no question when it comes to powdered milk, potato pearls, etc., they store better with oxygen absorber packets; however, there seems to be some debate as to how best store whole grains.

The logic on the pro-oxygen side is that whole grains are living organisms that need oxygen to survive and removing this oxygen will lead to the grains’ death and quicker spoilage/nutrient loss. At a local food storage class they not only recommended leaving the oxygen in, they also recommended opening the buckets every few years and pouring the grains into a different bucket to re-oxygenate them. They suggest dealing with weevils via freezing to kill the weevils, but leave the grain alive. The support given is that to sprout grain it must be stored with oxygen (I can't confirm that), and that sproutable grain is somehow linked to nutrition.

On the non-oxygen side the logic seems to be that oxygen is what allows the bacteria and oxidation to occur which leads to quicker spoilage/nutrient loss.

The vast majority of the sites I have looked at (including provident living) seem to favor the non-oxygen approach, but I can see the logic in the pro-oxygen side. I’m currently storing my grain with oxygen in, but I’d like to get this figured out before I have a 1,200 pounds of spoiled 30-year-old wheat.

I’ll freely admit my own ignorance on the subject, so debating this isn’t really my goal (forgive me if I’ve misstated one side or the other). Preferably I’d like to see scientific studies if anyone knows of any, but personal experiences are useful too.

Edited by Corwhy

Guest Alana

I was under the assumption that wheat stored for years in #10 cans with oxygen absorbers will still sprout. Seeds are in a dormant state, I don't think they consume any oxygen until they begin to sprout. I could be wrong though... so I'm interested to see what you learn and what others have to say.

Store the wheat in CO2 or with O2 absorbers, or nitrogen or anything.

The prattle the pro-o2 side is giving you is psuedoscience.

There shouldn't even be a debate. I have planted nitrogen packed wheat that had been stored for 25 years. It sprouted.

Whoever is teaching that class is doing their students a great disfavor.

There is no metabolism going on when seed is stored. Seed by it's very nature is a storage form, a dormant form, a resting, waiting dried out form.

NOTHING is happening.

I'm really glad I posted this, because it's helped me to think through this a little more, and refine my web searching. Thanks to everyone for their comments While I haven't been able to find any direct studies on whether grain stores better in O2 or something else.

One of the main issues is: Do dormant seeds still respire? Based on a quick 5 minute websearch it appears they do. (even if it's at a dramatically lower rate than growing plants)

csip.cornell.edu/Curriculum_Resources/CSIP/Vaccaro/Seed_Respiration_Teacher.doc

I realize that this still doesn't exactly say whether storing grains without oxygen effects viability or if it does whether that effects nutrition, but it's interesting. I'm still interested in seeing a study that more directly speaks to this issue, or at least hearing from someone educated in this field (I am not).

• 4 weeks later...

Same here....I am confused on the length of storage of such grains or freeze dried produce.

Speaking to Freeze dried foods: there should be no confusion at all. If one goes to the Mountain House web site, and searches, there is a chart that shows how long each form of freeze dried food, (type of packaging makes the differences) is expected to store, and at what temperature. Storing the # 10 can (20 year estimate) in the attic can shorten the storage time to months rather than decades.

Basically: foil pouches last the shortest amount of time, but still adequate for a hunting pack or 72 hour kit, if you cycle through them every two-4 years. Vacuumed foil pack last longer, and #10 cans packed in NTG last up to 20 years.

This is for UNOPENED packaging ONLY. Opened packages of any form, that you pour into a smaller package, is to be used in 30 days. And THAT is straight from the manufacturer, in answer to an E-mail inquiry.