April 6th And The Fundmentalist Lds

Jenda

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, are any of you guys worried?

Not particularly. It's been known for years that these guys are nut-jobs, but they seem mostly intent on destroying their own, and tend to leave outsiders alone if they don't mess with them.

The problem seems to be that their society is so closed, that it is hard to get a clear picture of what these people are really up to. Law enforcement authorities sometimes get wind of things that happen there, but they have a hard time substantiating any real criminal activity or plans because nobody who is in the know talks. Jeffs and his inner circle are very careful in what they do and say to outsiders and rarely give any real indication of what they are planning to do before it happens.

Originally posted by Snow+Mar 9 2005, 08:53 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Snow @ Mar 9 2005, 08:53 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Amillia@Mar 7 2005, 09:54 AM

I don't get it. What does that link tellyou?

That the fundamentalist wackos want to steal your social security check.

Okay, so you don't know either. :rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...
Guest JRodan

Originally posted by jimmy_l:

Snow, do you get upset when somebody deliberately misquotes somebody from your church or takes a quote ridiculously out of context?

Posted Image

(Kimball consulting with his good buddy and convicted murderer Mark Hoffman)

In 1960, future Prophet Spencer W. Kimball gave a speech at the LDS General Conference. Here's an excerpt...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I saw a striking contrast in the progress of the Indian people today...they are fast becoming a white and delightsome people....For years they have been growing delightsome, and they are now becoming white and delightsome, as they were promised....The children in the home placement program in Utah are often lighter than their brothers and sisters in the hogans on the reservation."

"At one meeting a father and mother and their sixteen-year-old daughter were present, the little member girl -- sixteen -- sitting between the dark father and mother, and it was evident she was several shades lighter than her parents -- on the same reservation, in the same hogan, subject to the same sun and wind and weather....These young members of the Church are changing to whiteness and to delightsomeness. One white elder jokingly said that he and his companion were donating blood regularly to the hospital in the hope that the process might be accelerated."

Source: Improvement Era, Dec. 1960, 922-923.

Originally posted by JRodan@Apr 6 2005, 06:30 AM

Snow, do you get upset when somebody deliberately misquotes somebody from your church or takes a quote ridiculously out of context?

Posted Image

In 1960, future Prophet Spencer W. Kimball gave a speech at the LDS General Conference. Here's an excerpt...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I saw a striking contrast in the progress of the Indian people today...they are fast becoming a white and delightsome people....For years they have been growing delightsome, and they are now becoming white and delightsome, as they were promised....The children in the home placement program in Utah are often lighter than their brothers and sisters in the hogans on the reservation."

"At one meeting a father and mother and their sixteen-year-old daughter were present, the little member girl -- sixteen -- sitting between the dark father and mother, and it was evident she was several shades lighter than her parents -- on the same reservation, in the same hogan, subject to the same sun and wind and weather....These young members of the Church are changing to whiteness and to delightsomeness. One white elder jokingly said that he and his companion were donating blood regularly to the hospital in the hope that the process might be accelerated."

Is this a agressive thing with you J.?

Originally posted by Taoist_Saint+Apr 6 2005, 11:40 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Taoist_Saint @ Apr 6 2005, 11:40 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--JRodan@Apr 6 2005, 05:30 AM

Posted Image

So is that out of context or this as disturbing as it sounds?

Let's see, this Kimball quote proves.........that Kimball was raised in the early 1900's when it was still socially and politically correct to think in terms of skin color? Further, I don't remember the First Presidency ever suggesting that Kimball's opinions should be cannonized.

Guest TheProudDuck

Originally posted by ExMormon-Jason@Apr 6 2005, 10:41 AM

Nothing happened in 1891, nothing's going to happen today. Funny thing is, people will still make excuses to follow a false prophet. :(

Joseph Smith did not predict the Second Coming would happen in 1891. Read the bloody passage. (D&C 130:14-16, especially verse 16.)

Originally posted by ExMormon-Jason@Apr 6 2005, 11:41 AM

Nothing happened in 1891, nothing's going to happen today. Funny thing is, people will still make excuses to follow a false prophet. :(

Yes they will. But then those who have a true prophet don't have to make excuses do they!

Originally posted by Taoist_Saint+Apr 6 2005, 12:40 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Taoist_Saint @ Apr 6 2005, 12:40 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--JRodan@Apr 6 2005, 05:30 AM

Posted Image

So is that out of context or this as disturbing as it sounds?

It's out of context.

Originally posted by Taoist_Saint+Apr 6 2005, 01:56 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Taoist_Saint @ Apr 6 2005, 01:56 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Cal@Apr 6 2005, 12:00 PM

Let's see, this Kimball quote proves.........that Kimball was raised in the early 1900's when it was  still socially and politically correct to think in terms of skin color? Further, I don't remember the First Presidency ever suggesting that Kimball's opinions should be cannonized.

I agree it should not be used to condemn the LDS.

It just should be used to condemn previous generations of white males.

I won't get into the the discussion of whether or not a Prophet is above racism...I hate repetitive discussions.

Cal, are you becoming softer and more sympathetic to the LDS since I last saw you? You are starting to sound like me on a good day :lol:

You know ~ the men in ww2 really had a tough time liking Germans and Japanese. I remember when I was little, my dad would be the only one willing to HT the Goffs because they were Germans. Yet he didn't like Blacks ~ at all!

By the time I went on a mission our bishop was German. But my dad still didn't like blacks!

When I was a young married, a young Japanese woman was telling me how difficult people were still making it for her and her family because of the war, and how angry her family were about Topaz.

Many people had been raised with prejudices which just were a mark of their day. I had no such prejudices. Even though my parents were somewhat prejudiced against blacks, I wasn't. I had black friends and black enemies. I learned early to judge each person on their own merits, and not on their race as a whole.

Yes they will. But then those who have a true prophet don't have to make excuses do they!

D&C 130: 15 "Joseph, my son, if thou livest until thou art eighty-five years old (Dec 1890 - Dec 1891), thou shalt see the face of the Son of Man; therefore let this suffice, and trouble me no more on this matter."

Yeah....so what's your excuse?

Guest curvette

Originally posted by ExMormon-Jason@Apr 6 2005, 02:39 PM

D&C 130: 15 "Joseph, my son, if thou livest until thou art eighty-five years old (Dec 1890 - Dec 1891), thou shalt see the face of the Son of Man; therefore let this suffice, and trouble me no more on this matter."

In other words: "Quit bugging me kid! We have more important things to worry about right now than when I'm coming down there!"

Originally posted by ExMormon-Jason@Apr 6 2005, 03:39 PM

Yeah....so what's your excuse?

He didn't live to see 85. That's the "excuse". Let's not forget the rest of it, though.

16 I was left thus, without being able to decide whether this coming referred to the beginning of the millennium or to some previous appearing, or whether I should die and thus see his face.

17 I believe the coming of the Son of Man will not be any sooner than that time.

Reads a little differently in context. ;)

Who said anything about "stupor of thought"? :rolleyes:

He asked a question that no man is to have the answer to, and got a puzzle in answer; it sure wasn't the false prophecy critics try to paint it for. Turns out he saw "the face of the Son of Man" much sooner than he thought he would...

Originally posted by Taoist_Saint+Apr 6 2005, 12:56 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Taoist_Saint @ Apr 6 2005, 12:56 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Cal@Apr 6 2005, 12:00 PM

Let's see, this Kimball quote proves.........that Kimball was raised in the early 1900's when it was  still socially and politically correct to think in terms of skin color? Further, I don't remember the First Presidency ever suggesting that Kimball's opinions should be cannonized.

I agree it should not be used to condemn the LDS.

It just should be used to condemn previous generations of white males.

I won't get into the the discussion of whether or not a Prophet is above racism...I hate repetitive discussions.

Cal, are you becoming softer and more sympathetic to the LDS since I last saw you? You are starting to sound like me on a good day :lol:

I may sound quite skeptical of SOME claims by SOME Mormons, but, I also find some of the criticisms of Mormonism, equally or maybe more disingenuous.