Irish Republicans

Lindy

http://archives.tcm.ie/irishexaminer/2005/...ry651726444.asp

Just do a search on google with the terms IRA and organised crime and you should get a few hits.

Enough from me.

GARDAÍ yesterday branded the Provisional IRA the "biggest organised crime gang" in the country.Officers said the IRA earned millions of euro every year from crime.

British officials estimate the IRA earns up to £10 million (€14m) a year from crime, including tax and VAT fraud, robberies, smuggling and counterfeiting.

"The biggest organised crime gang in this country is the Provisional IRA," said Joe Dirwan, president of the Association of Garda Sergeants and Inspectors (AGSI). "Unlike other organised crime gangs, they are countrywide. They are involved in all sorts of crime, including racketeering, armed robbery, cigarettes and tobacco smuggling, counterfeiting and diesel laundering."

He said the events of the past few months, including the armed robbery of £26.5m from the Northern Bank in Belfast and the brutal murder of Robert McCartney, had "settled into sharp focus" IRA criminality and the involvement of the parallel membership of Sinn Féin.

"Those who masquerade under the banner of the IRA participate in all sorts of criminality under the guise of so-called 'fund raising' and vigilantism by which they exercise their control by fear and intimidation over the whole communities."

Thanks yaanufs for the links.... more info for me to read and use in questions I ask.

I did find out that there are a lot of differences in the splinter groups off the Provisional IRA. In talking and questioning, I found that there are Republicans who have washed their hands of the Sein Fein and the Provisional IRA because of what they are doing, and what they are not doing.

Originally posted by lindy9556@Apr 11 2005, 11:30 AM

Funny~ I have a lot of things on my mind regarding service, missionary work, and what is right, what is wrong. Posting on another thread it all became crystal clear to me, everything for a reason. When we are guided to a different direction in our lives....it's going to be for a good reason. It may be awhile before you figure out the reason and sometimes it's hard not to question or try to analyze why we were sent in a direction we may not have chosen for ourselves.

I've been mulling over what I heard in sacrement meeting yesterday, which was "service to others" and after talking to an old friend last night .....I know that I have to just go with the flow, and try not to drown in the rapids. I guess I'm going to put on my life jacket, hold tightly onto my CTR ring, and jump into the river, knowing that somehow faith will keep me afloat.

I can't keep questioning everything sent my way, and need to rely on faith that I am needed outside my comfort zone. It may sound strange to others, but like I said......ding ......the lights went on, and everything became crystal clear. Everything for a reason.

Thanks to those who let me know what they think, I do value you opinions. :)

You are wiser than most! Cudos! :)

Originally posted by lindy9556@Apr 18 2005, 11:25 PM

I did find out that there are a lot of differences in the splinter groups off the Provisional IRA. In talking and questioning, I found that there are Republicans who have washed their hands of the Sein Fein and the Provisional IRA because of what they are doing, and what they are not doing.

These would be splinter groups more interested in maintaining the status quo concerning violence, crime and power. They have no real interest in a united Ireland, no interest in a democratic and peaceful solution. As I've already said, the political motivation has long since left the IRA, the motivation now is organised crime.

In a way the splinter groups highlight the true feelings of the IRA.

The IRA enjoy the splinter groups because they ca pretend the worst of the criminality and violence has 'nothing' to do with the nice cuddly, mainstream IRA. They can pretend that the majority of the IRA want peace, it's just a few nutters who want violence.

It's all smoke and mirrors.

Thanks Amillia~ sometimes it's hard for me to justify the reasons behind the feelings and fears of others. Finding out the human side of a contraversial issue has been hard. :mellow:

Yaanufs~Where are you from if I may ask? I am impressed with the posts, a lot of food for thought.... thank you.

What is your take on the RIRA? And what do you think about the hunger strikes, and the blanket thing back in the 80's?

Sorry about the questions...but it is nice to hear things from both sides.

Yaanufs~Where are you from if I may ask?

I live in Texas, but I don't think you were meaning that. ;)

My delicate, innocent, formative years were Australian, English and Scottish. Mostly Scottish.

What is your take on the RIRA?

The Real IRA seem to be just a bunch of nutters hell bent on ignoring the will of the people they claim to represent. They still cling to the idea that a united Ireland will be achieved through the bomb and the bullet. They do more damage to their side of the politcal spectrum through their activities as they give the other (Unionist) side significant political ammunition to use in their cause.

In the current climate the Unionists can paint themselves as victims of terror which carries a certain amount of emotional baggage in todays world. The RIRA are just handing it to them on a plate, but they are so stupid and self-centered they cannot even see it.

And what do you think about the hunger strikes, and the blanket thing back in the 80's?

If someone wants to starve themselves to death to make a politcal point and to try an blackmail a democraticaly elected government, then let them. I have no sympathy at all for people like Bobby Sands. Blackmail is never a sensible approach to politics.

I'm not sure what you are referring to regarding the "blanket thing".

Yaanufs~Where are you from if I may ask?

I live in Texas, but I don't think you were meaning that.

Welllll..... I did wonder ;) and it's nice to know you are grounded now, in the good ole US of A. Again, I appreciate your candor and honest opinion.

I'm still kind of researching the RIRA, I am gathering questions to ask those I have access to.

The blanket thing....I had a mind blurp for a min.... I meant the Blanket and Dirty Protest, I found it very interesting, discusting at times.... but interesting. I did understand some points made, by those republican prisoners protesting; but then shake my head at others. I understood the wanting to be treated as political prisoners and not as criminals, (and to dress as such), to the right of free association like the others had, to the right to a weekly visit, and to educational and recreational pursuits.....thought it silly though that they didn't want to do any prison work....sounded lazy to me.......another question I am adding to my list.