Questions about WOW

JPL1234

For those that pay on gross earnings. Do you also pay on the insurance program that the company pays for? Lets say you have to pay $300 each pay check for health insurance, but the company pays $400 during the same period. Do you increase you tithing by $40 each check to pay for the insurance? It is increase and should be included as part of your gross calculation.

For those that pay on gross earnings. Do you pay on the amount of company match to your 401K? At my company, they match me dollar for dollar for the first 6%. So if I pay $500 each pay check, they match me with an additional $500. This increase of $500 should result in an increase tithing amount of $50.

For those that pay on gross earnings. Do you pay on the amount of training that you receive as part of your position. What about tuition reimbursement?

What if you suffered a medical condition that cost many thousands of dollars to pay for. Your insurance paid for it, and you had an increase that came directly in your benefit from the insurance company. Do you pay for that?

Just some things that folks don't tend to consider when paying tithing. I once calculated my real increase at the gross rate. It ended up being about 35% higher than what actually showed up on my pay check as increase. All the other company paid amounts ends up being quite high.

If someone earns $100K per year and pays $10K in tithing. I suspect they are robbing the Lord. I would think the proper amount is more like $14K they should have paid.

Again that comes down to a personal decision. Spirit of the law verses letter of the law.

• 1 year later...

I remember a situation that my father had as a bishop. Someone had received an expensive car for free from a game show or something - I don't really remember. The person only made 30k a year and the tithing on the car would have been about 5k. He wanted to know if he had to take out a loan or sell the car to pay his tithing. My father asked the man how much a car would have cost him if he went out and bought something he could afford. The man told him he would have bought a Corolla worth about 13k. My father told him to pay tithing on the 13k.

For those that pay on gross earnings. Do you also pay on the insurance program that the company pays for? Lets say you have to pay $300 each pay check for health insurance, but the company pays $400 during the same period. Do you increase you tithing by $40 each check to pay for the insurance? It is increase and should be included as part of your gross calculation.

For those that pay on gross earnings. Do you pay on the amount of company match to your 401K? At my company, they match me dollar for dollar for the first 6%. So if I pay $500 each pay check, they match me with an additional $500. This increase of $500 should result in an increase tithing amount of $50.

For those that pay on gross earnings. Do you pay on the amount of training that you receive as part of your position. What about tuition reimbursement?

What if you suffered a medical condition that cost many thousands of dollars to pay for. Your insurance paid for it, and you had an increase that came directly in your benefit from the insurance company. Do you pay for that?

Just some things that folks don't tend to consider when paying tithing. I once calculated my real increase at the gross rate. It ended up being about 35% higher than what actually showed up on my pay check as increase. All the other company paid amounts ends up being quite high.

If someone earns $100K per year and pays $10K in tithing. I suspect they are robbing the Lord. I would think the proper amount is more like $14K they should have paid.

Thank goodness our salvation is between us and the Lord - not us and the Bible. I love the fact that Bishops have the ability to handle each situation differently and to encourage individual members to decide things for themselves. It is the same for Tithing and the Word of Wisdom.

K here is a weird one to think about: You pay your mortgage on a home right? When you start out almost 90% of that payment is interest. By the time you pay off a 30 year mortgage you will have paid 3 times what your house was worth. So it could be argued that you are actually in the hole several thousand dollars which is money that should be deducted from your "Gross Pay". :lol:

I have some questions in regards to the WOW. It seems from what I have been reading, many LDS members vary in regards to their interpretations about certain things.

The big one seems to be drinks.

Alcohol - Ok, this one is pretty easy and I understand it. What I ask is it ok to cook with wine or beer (I use wine for several of my favourite dishes - I believe most of the alcohol dissolves (usually 1 cup is required). What about non-alcholic beer????

Coffee - I understand regular coffee..what I wonder is why not decaffinated coffee? Is is not the caffeine that is the problem? Or other ingredients?

How about coffee subsitutes like the Barley Grain drinks? (it tastes pretty much like coffee and even looks like it...)

Caffeine in general - are you allowed to consume? All soda (not just coke) has caffeine unless stated otherwise (see this link :How Much Caffeine in Drinks -- Coffee, Tea, Soft Drinks -- Caffeine Content) How about hot chocolate or chocolate of any sort...

The other question is Tithing - some pay 10% of Net, others pay 10% of gross. Note there can be a HUGE difference in this payments. Where do you all stand on this???

Garments - do you have to sleep with them on?????

Alcohol- no dont want to do even non alcholic

coffee = gross

caffeine = i avoid it, personal health reasons

tithing = i pay on what i get after taxes because what is stolen from me is not an increase to me.

garments = yes sleep with them on.

I'm closing this thread. This thread is from 2 years ago and this subject has been discussed numerous times since then.