I Know Where You Live

Snow

• 3 weeks later...

Originally posted by curvette@Apr 7 2005, 09:07 AM

While you are at it, could you steal my neighbors two cats, and my other neighbor's dog (who loves to make my front yard his personal commode?)

You're a girl after my own heart, Curvette.

Almost nothing worse than neighbors who aren't neighborly with animals: in other words, disrespectful pet owners. Ugh.

I've grown to not despise cats, a little bit, and I'm quite fond of my dog. But my dog's stuff stays at home and is cleaned up. It's not only wise but healthy and respectful for me and my neighborhood; keeping flies from thinking this is their hometown is a good thing. When we walk in the evening outside our perimeter, we carry a doggie bag (no, not the restaurant type, lol).

So I still can't figure neighbor cat owners who keep pets at home only at night. Why bother? I thought cats were house pets with litter boxes (a la kitty litter from the store and not grass and garden from our yards)?

Que Sera

Originally posted by pushka@Apr 25 2005, 05:22 PM

Cats are not naturally house pets...hope you were joking btw! and at least they mostly make an attempt at covering up their stuff...

I realize the "over there" it is common to let cats roam, but here it is not and Que Sera is correct.

The HSUS puts out pamphlets with statistics about how much longer the natural lifespan of an indoors cat is versus an inside outside cat's. Keeping cats strictly inside is actively encouraged.

So, over here, cats are, indeed, considered housepets.

As one vet long ago told me:"Why do you think they call them HOUSEcats?"

I have three cats; except for brief supervised excusions to the fenced backyard, they do not go out. And, they are quite happy with this arrangement.

Originally posted by begood2@Apr 27 2005, 11:31 PM

Outshined,

I think most cats that live outside are lucky if they live to be 10 or 12 years old.

Wow, 17 years ... that may not be a record but is a very long time for a cat. May it be with your family for many more years! :D

Yeah, she just went crashing through the kitchen chasing one of those rings from the top of a jug of milk... :lol: