TODAY IN CHURCH HISTORY: 16 June

Hemidakota

1831 - William W. Phelps, a printer, and his family had just arrived in Kirtland, Ohio, when he asked the Prophet Joseph to inquire of the Lord on his behalf that he might "do the will of the Lord." The revelation is recorded as Doctrine and Covenants 55 and calls W. W. Phelps to preach the gospel and to write books for the schools of the Church, "that little children also may receive instruction before me as is pleasing unto me" (History of the Church, 1:184-186).

1834 - Zion's Camp ferries across the Grand River in northern Missouri and camped on its banks. About 800 to 1,000 citizens in Clay county assembled at the court house in Liberty. A group of men from Jackson county attended and read a letter offering to buy all the Mormons

land in Jackson county. Several men spoke against the Saints living in Clay county, including a Rev. Riley who said the Saints had lived long enough in Clay county and must "clear out or be cleared out." Mr. Turnham, the moderator of the meeting, answered, "Let us honor our country, and not disgrace it like Jackson county." General Alexander Doniphan stood and supported the Saints and said "I love to hear that they have brethren coming to their assistance. Greater love can no man show, than he who lays down his life for his brethren." The meeting seemed to calm many and "the tempest of an immediate conflict seemed to be checked." The leader of the Jackson county group, James Campbell, and the men with him, left to return to Jackson county, but before doing so stated that "The eagles and turkey buzzards shall eat my flesh if I do not fix Joe Smith and his army so that their skins will not hold shucks, before two days are passed." As they were crossing the Missouri River back to Jackson county, the "angel of God saw fit to sink the boat about the middle of the river, and seven out of twelve that attempted to cross, were drowned" including James Campbell. His body was found three weeks later about 4 to 5 miles downstream, his body eaten by birds and animals as he had predicted. (History of the Church, 2:95-100)

1844 - The Prophet Joseph addresses the Saints in Nauvoo twice-once in the morning and again in the afternoon. He discusses the nature of God and the plurality of Gods saying, "Where was there ever a son without a father? And where was there ever a father without first being a son?" (History of the Church, 6:476). He concludes by saying, "It is in the order of heavenly things that God should always send a new dispensation into the world when men have apostatized from the truth and lost the priesthood. . . . I have got all the truth which the Christian world possessed, and an independent revelation in the bargain, and God will bear me off triumphant" (History of the Church, 6:478-479). In the afternoon he instructed them to "keep cool, and prepare their arms for defense of the city" (History of the Church, 6:479). He meets with several people from outside the City of Nauvoo and answers their questions concerning the Expositor situation. He wrote a letter to Governor Ford of Illinois for personal intervention in trying to stay the mobs gathering in Warsaw and Carthage and to support the Saints in their constitutional rights in the current crisis.

1854 - Workmen begin to lay the foundation for the Salt Lake Temple.

1894 - The first group of Maori Saints leave Auckland, New Zealand, to immigrate to Utah.

1974 - The first stake in Denmark is organized at Copenhagen.

2000 - The Melbourne Australia Temple is dedicated by President Gordon B. Hinckley.