TODAY IN CHURCH HISTORY: 18 June

Hemidakota

1831 - About this time, Elder Thomas B. Marsh approached the Prophet Joseph to ask what he should do about his mission call. Elder Marsh was ready to depart, but his companion, Ezra Thayre, was not due to his involvement in the problems with members of the Church at Thompson, Ohio. The Prophet inquired of the Lord and received the revelation recorded as Doctrine and Covenants 56.

1834 - Having no provisions, Zion's Camp traveled seventeen miles before breakfast. The Prophet Joseph was so sick he traveled in Elder Kimball's wagon. A breakfast consisting of corn meal mush, or hasty pudding, was eaten. They crossed a slough half a mile wide through which most of the men had to wade through in up to waist deep mud and water. The Camp passed within one mile of Richmond, Missouri, and camped in a small prairie surrounded by trees. While preparing for bed, a rattlesnake was found in Brigham Young's tent and was carried outside of camp. The Prophet, fearing their location was open for an attack from a mob, went into the brush and prayed for safe keeping. He received an assurance that all would be safe.

1840 - The Prophet Joseph Smith wrote a letter to the Nauvoo High Council, petitioning for a release from attending to temporal concerns. (History of the Church, 4:137)

1844 - The Nauvoo Legion assembled in the morning to organize and prepare for any mob action against the city of Nauvoo. At 1:45 p. m. the Mayor, Joseph Smith, declared the city of Nauvoo under martial law. At 2:00 p. m. the Prophet Joseph Smith gives his last public discourse to the men of the Nauvoo Legion in full uniform from the top of the frame of a building near his mansion home. "I do not regard my own life," he said. "I am ready to be offered a sacrifice for this people; for what can our enemies do? Only kill the body . . . God has tried you. You are a good people; therefore I love you with all my heart. Greater love hath no man than that he should lay down his life for his friends. You have stood by me in the hour of trouble, and I am willing to sacrifice my life for your preservation" (History of the Church, 6:500). At 3:15 p. m., the Prophet took command of the legion and marched them up Main Street to their former parade ground. He then returned home to the mansion, keeping abreast of the situation with the mob in Carthage and the county.

1847 - The first Pioneer wagon train rested and prepared for the remaining journey where they had crossed the North Platte River. The five days of rest and good feed for the animals left them healthy and ready to travel the remaining journey to the Salt Lake Valley.

1850 - Elder John Taylor and his companions arrive in Boulogne-sur-mer, France, and open the French Mission.

1960 - The Aaronic Priesthood Restoration Monument on the banks of the Susquehanna River in Pennsylvania is dedicated by Presiding Bishop Joseph L. Wirthlin.

1978 - The first stake in Quebec, Canada is organized in Montreal.

1995 - The first stake in Thailand is organized in Bangkok.

2000 - The Suva Fiji Temple is dedicated by President Gordon B. Hinckley. Also, the first LDS building in Bulgaria was dedicated by Elder Charles Didier of the Seventy. It includes a meeting house and the mission office and home.