TODAY IN CHURCH HISTORY: 20 June

Hemidakota

1829 - About this time, Martin Harris, David Whitmer, Oliver Cowdery, and the Prophet Joseph Smith, "agreed to retire into the woods, and try to obtain, by fervent and humble prayer, the fulfilment of the promises given" concerning three witnesses of the Book of Mormon. They prayed to no avail at which Martin Harris withdrew himself saying it was his fault. Almost immediately afterwards, after prayer, the remaining three men saw an Angel holding the plates and heard a voice from heaven declare the translation was correct. The Prophet Joseph then went in pursuit of Martin Harris who he found in fervent prayer. After joining him in prayer, both men beheld the same vision as seen before. The three men then joined together in writing the Testimony of the Three Witnesses recorded in the Book of Mormon.

1834 - After surviving the severe thunderstorm the night before, the Prophet Joseph had the men test their firearms to make sure they still fired without problems. They then traveled five miles to better location for food and protection from the mobs and set up camp.

1844 - The Prophet Joseph started his day by riding to the prairie outside on Nauvoo with his Nauvoo Legion staff, "to devise plans for the defense of the city, and select the proper locations to meet the mob" (History of the Church, 6:507). Later he wrote a letter to the President of the United States, John Tyler, asking for protection "which the Constitution guarantees." Affidavits where collected to show the danger of the present situation the Saints found themselves in. The Prophet wrote letters to the Twelve Apostles, who were on missions, to immediately return home to Nauvoo. In late evening, Joseph gave directions to Theodore Turley to begin the manufacture of artillery. "I told him in confidence that there would not be a gun fired on our part during this fuss" (History of the Church, 6:520). He also told his brother Hyrum to take his family and go to Cincinnati. "Hyrum replied, 'Joseph, I can't leave you.' Where upon I said to the company present, 'I wish I could get Hyrum out of the way, so that he may live to avenge my blood, and I will stay with you and see it out.'" (History of the Church, 6:520).

1846 - The ship Brooklyn, transporting over 200 Saints from New York to California, arrives at Honolulu, Sandwich Islands---modern day Hawaii.

1847 - The Pioneer company traveled twenty miles on this day even though it was a Sunday. This was necessary because one of the Missouri companies did not want the pioneers to camp near them and use the good grass for their animals. So they traveled far enough a head to have a free choice of the best feed and camping places.

1869 - The first stake in Idaho is organized in Paris.

1982 - The Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings in Royal Albert Hall in London, England.

1985 - The Freiberg Germany Temple is dedicated by President Gordon B. Hinckley. It is the only temple to be built in a country with a communist government.

1987 - In a letter to priesthood leaders, the First Presidency defines the organizational structure of ward Young Women presidencies and requests consistent midweek activities for Young Women.