TODAY IN CHURCH HISTORY: 22 June

Hemidakota

1834 - Cornelius Gillium, the sheriff of Clay County, Missouri, came into Zion's Camp to hold consultation with them. He first said that he had heard that Joseph Smith was in the camp and if so he would like to see him. The Prophet then stood and said, "I am the man" (History of the Church, 2:108). It was the first time any indication outside of the camp that the Prophet Joseph was traveling with them. Gillium then told them the situation in the County and what course he recommended they pursue. Later in the day, the Prophet Joseph Smith goes to the Lord in prayer to question what they should do and receives Doctrine and Covenants 105, calling for the disbanding of Zion's Camp and indicating that Zion would not be redeemed at this time.

1836 - Joseph Smith, Sr, and John Smith, the Prophets father and uncle, left Kirtland, Ohio, for a mission to the Eastern States to set the branches in order and give patriarchal blessings.

1844 - Illinois Governor Thomas Ford meets with Elder John Taylor and John M. Bernhisel to discuss the destruction of the Nauvoo Expositor and the threats made towards the Saints in Nauvoo. Almon W. Babbitt arrived from Carthage with a message from the Governor stating that it wasn't wise to have members of the City Council go to Carthage. The Mayor, Joseph Smith, writes a letter to the Governor requesting him to come to Nauvoo to meet with him concerning the current crises. He sends the letter, with additional affidavits, by Lucien Woodworth as courier about noon. Lieutenant-General Joseph Smith issues an order to the Nauvoo Legion to prepare the Eastern side of the city for defense against an attack by the mob. The Governor sent another letter to the Prophet informing him that, in his opinion, the Mayor and City Council was wrong in ordering the destruction of the Nauvoo Expositor and the use of habeas corpus to avoid appearing before the judge in Carthage, and ordered that he, and others who had been accused, submit to the law immediately. The Governor also guaranteed the safety of all the accused and their witnesses while in Carthage. The Prophet Joseph records, "These facts show conclusively that he is under the influence of the mob spirit, and is designedly intending to place us in the hands of murderous assassins, and is conniving at our destruction, or else that he is so ignorant and stupid that he does not understand the corrupt and diabolical spirits that are around him" (History of the Church, 6:542). He writes a letter back to the Governor answering his charges and defending the actions of the City Council. He informs the Governor that they intend to lay their case before the Federal Government. At sundown he asks O. P. Rockwell if he would go with him on a short journey. He calls several of the leaders together and has the letter from the Governor read to them. He then states, "'There is no mercy-no mercy here.' Hyrum said, 'No; just as sure as we fall into their hands we are dead men.' Joseph replied, 'yes; what shall we do, Brother Hyrum?' He replied, 'I don't know.' All at once Joseph's countenance brightened up and he said, 'The way is open. It is clear to my mind what to do. All they want is Hyrum and myself; then tell everybody to go about their business . . . We will cross the river tonight, and go away to the West.'" (History of the Church, 6:545-546). At midnight, the Prophet Joseph Smith, his brother Hyrum, and Willard Richards, with O. P. Rockwell rowing the boat, cross the Mississippi River into Iowa with the intention of traveling to the Rocky Mountains, to find a place of refuge for the Saints. The last direct narrative recorded of the Prophet is, "I told Stephen Markham that if I and Hyrum were ever taken again we should be massacred, or I was not a prophet of God. I want Hyrum to live to avenge my blood, but he is determined not to leave me." (History of the Church, 6:546).

1966 - The Granite Mountain Records Vault, a special facility for preserving important genealogical records located in Little Cottonwood Canyon, east of Salt Lake City, Utah, is dedicated by President Hugh B. Brown of the First Presidency.

1986 - The sixteen hundredth stake of the Church is organized in Kitchener, Ontario, Canada, by President Thomas S. Monson of the First Presidency.

1991 - The renovated Cardston Alberta Temple is rededicated by President Gordon B. Hinckley of the First Presidency.

2002 - The Church released the 1881 Canadian Census on CD, extracted by Church members in Canada and the United States. Also, a framed copy of "The Family: A Proclamation to the World" was given to Nobel Peace Prize winner Archbishop Desmond Tutu by officials of the Cape Town South Africa Stake.

2006 - Elder Dallin H. Oaks of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles presided over the dedication ceremony at the Heber Valley Camp for Young Women. He was accompanied by Elder Merrill J. Bateman of the Presidency of the Seventy, who pronounced the dedicatory prayer, and the Young Women General Presidency, Sister Susan W. Tanner, Sister Julie B. Beck, and Sister Elaine S. Dalton, and former Young Women General Presidents Sister Ardeth G. Kapp and Sister Janette Hales. Located in North-central Utah, the camp is situated on 8,000 mostly wooded acres and hosts thousands of young women and their leaders each summer.