What's In A Name?

For quite sometime I have wanted to ask this question...What made you choose your screen name for LDS Talk and do you use different ones for other boards?

Strawberry Fields: I have always loved the Beatles music. When I came to LDS Talk I came looking for answers after loosing my mom. I felt as if "Nothing was real" like in the song. Strawberry Fields Forever... :D

The only other Board I frequent is the one I first discovered when my mom was dx with Lung Cancer there I go by "Carolsdaughter" Carol is my moms name. ;)

Now it's your turn. :)

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Taoist_Saint

When I joined this message board I was interested in Taoism (I still am, though I am now interested in Buddhism too)...and I am LDS (saint)...not very deep :D

Originally posted by Taoist_Saint@May 9 2005, 12:34 PM

When I joined this message board I was interested in Taoism (I still am, though I am now interested in Buddhism too)...and I am LDS (saint)...not very deep :D

That explains a lot. ;)

What about your avatar?

"My Karma ran over my Dogma". :lol: LOL

I just took the first couple of letters from my youngest daughter's first and middle name and squashed them together. I post on all the boards with either this or my real name.

I don't know what she will use as a screen name when she gets old enough to post on bulletin boards. :o

Guest Taoist_Saint

Originally posted by Strawberry Fields@May 9 2005, 11:44 AM

What about your avatar?

That is Hunter S. Thompson, a journalist who was most popular in the 70's.

Why did I choose his picture?

First of all, he sort of looks like me.

But aside from that...

His articles and books took reality and exaggerated it to the point where it was completely absurd...but in doing so, he showed you the truth of the issue more clearly...or at least his opinion. He took objectivity out of journalism, and became part of the stories he wrote. For example, he rode with the Hell's Angels for a year or more while writing a book about them.

I don't agree with him on alot of things. I don't like guns, and he loved them...though he did say that most people should not have guns...just him :lol:

Also, he did far too many drugs, and I stay away from anything stronger than the occasional beer. He did say that he would never recommend drugs to anyone, but they worked for him.

I believe in his philosophy of life...which seemed to be that life is meant to be fun. I agree with alot, but not all, of his politics.

I agree with him that the American Dream is dead, as he described in "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas".

Johnny Depp did an excellent job of playing Thomson's alter-ego "Raoul Duke" in the movie version of that book. He even shaved the top of his head.

But if you don't like "weird", I wouldn't recommend his books to you.

Sadly, he committed suicide earlier this year by shooting himself. He was in his 60's, and though he didn't seem to be in bad health, he had a hip replacement or something. Some people believe that life just wasn't fun for him anymore at that age, and he wanted to end his life on his own terms.

Apparantly he told someone years ago that he wanted his ashes shot out of a huge cannon. I heard that his son and other people (including Johnny Depp) were trying to make that happen.

It's too bad he chose to die...he made life more fun for me.

Originally posted by Strawberry Fields+May 9 2005, 11:41 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Strawberry Fields @ May 9 2005, 11:41 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--pushka@May 9 2005, 11:12 AM

My screen name is the name of my cat...the one who appears in the avatar with my daughter.

I don't see your avatar.

That's strange...can anybody else see it? or just me? :( anyway, here's a link to 'posting a picture' in which I posted my avatar piccy...

http://www.ldstalk.com/forums/index.php?ac...t=ST&f=7&t=4645

Originally posted by pushka+May 9 2005, 04:35 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (pushka @ May 9 2005, 04:35 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by -Strawberry Fields@May 9 2005, 11:41 AM

<!--QuoteBegin--pushka@May 9 2005, 11:12 AM

My screen name is the name of my cat...the one who appears in the avatar with my daughter.

I don't see your avatar.

That's strange...can anybody else see it? or just me? :(

I see it just fine; nice kitty. ;)

Originally posted by Outshined+May 9 2005, 04:37 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Outshined @ May 9 2005, 04:37 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by -pushka@May 9 2005, 04:35 PM

I don't see your avatar.

;) OK who is puuling the cats tail here?

I don't see Jendas or Pushkas but I see the rest who have them at least. :)

Guest Taoist_Saint
Originally posted by pushka+May 9 2005, 03:35 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (pushka @ May 9 2005, 03:35 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Strawberry Fields@May 9 2005, 11:41 AM

I don't see your avatar.

I have seen it a few times today, but mostly it has been gone. Whatever site is hosting it must be having some issues.

Originally posted by Strawberry Fields+May 9 2005, 04:00 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Strawberry Fields @ May 9 2005, 04:00 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by -Outshined@May 9 2005, 04:37 PM

Originally posted by -pushka@May 9 2005, 04:35 PM

I don't see your avatar.

;) OK who is puuling the cats tail here?

I don't see Jendas or Pushkas but I see the rest who have them at least. :)

You don't see my avatar??? Aaackkk! I got my avatar as a special request by several ladies here. Can the rest of you see it?

I can see Pushka's Pushka. :P

Originally posted by nehiguy@May 9 2005, 03:11 PM

Nehiguy....

.... from the tribe of Nehi ? NO

.... a real short dude? NO

.... acroynm for Never eat hampster intestines? NO

Sooo.......... now that you have told us who you aren't, maybe you can tell us who you are! :lol:

Guest Taoist_Saint

Originally posted by Jenda@May 9 2005, 05:01 PM

I got my avatar as a special request by several ladies here. Can the rest of you see it?

Right now I can see Captain Jack Sparrow, but I don't see Pushka's Avatar.

My username, obviously, is my real name. Unfortunately it seems to be a common name, similar to Joe and Smith. I have noted that many times in crime TV shows usually the dead person is automatically identified with my name, or if it is a female, my sister Jane's name. I don't know for sure why this is, other than to speculate that once upon a time in Hollywood one of my relatives must have really ticked off a script writer, so anytime a dead person is shown they are named "John Doe". The script writer must have hated my relative so much he wanted to see him dead.

Originally posted by john doe@May 9 2005, 11:43 PM

My username, obviously, is my real name. Unfortunately it seems to be a common name, similar to Joe and Smith. I have noted that many times in crime TV shows usually the dead person is automatically identified with my name, or if it is a female, my sister Jane's name. I don't know for sure why this is, other than to speculate that once upon a time in Hollywood one of my relatives must have really ticked off a script writer, so anytime a dead person is shown they are named "John Doe". The script writer must have hated my relative so much he wanted to see him dead.

Obviously. ;):lol:

Originally posted by pushka@May 10 2005, 04:02 AM

LOL John Doe...

My poor avatar...poor Pushka!!! I hope she returns to your screens soon...I can see everybody else's avatars...for those who can't see Pushka, just try the link I posted...she's even bigger in that piccy!!! :D

Pushka which link? The only link that I saw was a link to another post on talk where it said how to post a picture.

What does piccy mean?