2 Nephi 2:27

pam

Reference Search: 2 Nephi 2:27

27 Wherefore, men are free according to the flesh; and all things are given them which are expedient unto man. And they are free to choose liberty and eternal life, through the great Mediator of all men, or to choose captivity and death, according to the captivity and power of the devil; for he seeketh that all men might be miserable like unto himself.

Quotes for Discussion

Free according to the flesh

Men may choose the right or they may choose the wrong; they may walk in darkness or they may walk in the light. The Lord has given them, in the various dispensations of the world, the light of the gospel, wherein they could walk and not stumble, wherein they could find that peace and happiness which he desires, as a Loving Father, his children should enjoy, but the Lord does not take from them their free agency.

David O. McKay, “There Are Two Roads,” Improvement Era, Feb. 1964, p. 84

What principles are necessary for agency to exist?

Four great principles must be in force if there is to be agency: 1. Laws must exist, laws ordained by an Omnipotent power, laws which can be obeyed or disobeyed; 2. Opposites must exist—good and evil, virtue and vice, right and wrong—that is, there must be an opposition, one force pulling one way and another pulling the other; 3. A knowledge of good and evil must be had by those who are to enjoy the agency, that is, they must know the difference between the opposites; and 4. An unfettered power of choice must prevail.

Bruce R. McConkie, Mormon Doctrine, 26

All rational beings have an agency of their own; and according to their own choice they will be saved or damned.

The volition of the creature is free; this is a law of their existence and the Lord cannot violate his own law; were he to do that, he would cease to be God. He has placed life and death before his children, and it is for them to choose. If they choose life, they receive the blessing of life; if they choose death, they must abide the penalty. This is a law which has always existed from all eternity, and will continue to exist throughout all the eternities to come. Every intelligent being must have the power of choice, and god brings for the results of the acts of his creatures to promote his Kingdom and subserve his purposes in the salvation and exaltation of his children.

Brigham Young, Discourses of Brigham Young, sel. John A. Widtsoe [salt Lake City: Deseret Book, 1925], 62

Dear Pam,

I enjoyed reading the quotes you shared with everyone - especially the last one! I'll have to write that one down.

It's interesting to note that we need to want to be better individuals before God can help us. We need to make the decision. He can't make it for us. But it wouldn't work out any other way. If He did all the work then how could His judgements possibly be just come the last day.

Hope to see more of your posts. I've noticed you've been spending a good deal of time on them. I'm glad to see it. Some of the things I've read give me cause to believe a lot of people on this site don't really understand the doctrines of the church they belong to. Perhaps you could be of assistance to them there. :)

PRR