repentance, can you move on after...

shining_stars

the question is , if someone had sex with a boyfriend/girlfriend, and repented , this means confessing, forsaken , etc .. and after sometime feels that the relationship is not working anymore, should this person stay for what hada happened or is it better to let it go...? I mean, according to the Church, can someone move on ,or if you get to know another person and fall in love , do u have to tell him/her about your past? or as you repented this is not necesary?

is this a reason to stay with a person even though the relationship is taking you nowhere?

:confused:

Guest JoshDwellington

I'm not sure I got it:

do you mean, if for example John Doe has had sex in the past, but has repented/done his work since, does he need to let a new girlfriend know about it ?

is this what you mean ?

I am not aware of any position the Church has taken regarding a situation like yours, and having to make a decision one way or another. IMO, the relationship decision is entirely yours, and you should choose what is best for you. You do not have an obligation to stay with him. In fact, I could imagine moving on and trying to leave that chapter behind could be beneficial for you.

You might check out the thread Openness in a Marriage Relationship. Some of the recent posts share opinions re telling others about your past.

If the relationship is taking you nowhere, that is you signal that it is not a relationship worth pursuing further.

I'm not sure I got it:

do you mean, if for example John Doe has had sex in the past, but has repented/done his work since, does he need to let a new girlfriend know about it ?

is this what you mean ?

Okay I had to take a double take when reading your post. When you mentioned John Doe my first thought was you were talking about John Doe that is a head moderator here on the site. :P I was thinking what? A new girlfriend?

Edited by pam

Guest JoshDwellington

I think part of the repentance process is to confess to those you harm... if you want to marry anyone, you will need to let them know everything - it is harmful to your future spouse, so you need to confess to them. JMO.

second this

at the end of the day, it's still going to be YOUR decision after.

But IMO, it's safer to tell your significant other about it, rather than let him/her find out later