If I convert to the LDS...

can my kids still attend our Christian homeschooling groups? Is a Protestant/Catholic group considered an "apostate" group?

It's Christian in name but there is not formal instruction going on...it's more for people to find people who have similiar thoughts, values and styles of living. A similiar calling to homeschool your children. I have friends in the group who are evangelical, Catholic, mainline Protestant, the Latin Catholic variety and a whole bunch of other denominations. We sing in a Christian Choir in our community that is all mixed denominations. Is that OK?

Sorry for all the "what if" questions. The doctrine part of conversion, I can read up on that and learn. I'm working hard on that. It's the day to day stuff that I want to find out. ;)

Ew...I hope I don't cause a fight over who is Christian or not. :o I really wanted to know if another Christian-non LDS group is OK. I'm in a state that has a very small number of LDS and these things enter my mind.

Blessings.

"Apostate" groups typically refer to groups founded by people like Ed Decker, or others who's main mission is to preach against the LDS church, or form their own "break-away" branch of the LDS church (like FLDS)

You might have more trouble with your Christian group not wanting you as part of the group (many don't consider LDS to be Christian), than you are to have anyone in the LDS church say "Quit that group right now, or you're in trouble!" (although some may recommend you quit if they feel the people in the group will try to lead you away from the LDS church, but the choice will still be 100% yours, and they couldn't inflict any sort of "consequence" on you)

Speaking of my own personal feelings, which I think would be a similar to most LDS members I know, members would be more supportive than not regarding seeking to put your children in faith supporting schooling. Every barrel has it’s own “off color” apples though. People are people so you never know exactly what you might get.

As far as an official stance of the Church, I am not aware of one, and would highly doubt there is such a position taken.

As Jenamarie stated, there is the possibility of some feedback from the schooling group. Obviously they seem open to all sorts of denominations, but it only takes one misinformed parent to cause a ruckus.

OK, Good. That makes me feel better. :)

I can see a few groups having a problem with the LDS and I can see some groups not caring at all. I can deal with that.

I have been to ultra conservative Baptist churches that have a problem with being in a mixed Christian group....this is why the thought popped into my head. I have no problem with anyone. I know my beliefs and I enjoy sharing with people what we do have in common. We love the Lord and love Jesus. The other stuff? I just drop it. I live in a very secular state with few devout Christians of any kind...I'm happy to befriend anyone who has similiar ideals.

Thanks for your help.

One of our mormon mottos is to be "in the world, but not of the world." Being baptized, in some cases, does mean a change in terms of associations and social circles. But in your case, there wouldn't be a reason you couldn't continue on doing what is best for your family and their education. The LDS church won't have a problem whatsoever with you participating in homeschooling groups. Most LDS kids don't go to church sponsored schools and associate with kids and teachers from lots of different paradigms. How great for your kids to grow up seeing adults with differences dealing well with it!

I wonder if you may find a division inside of yourself in terms of what is being taught from a doctrinal standpoint. I know my friends had their girls in a private Catholic School. They loved the experience but would make sure that they taught doctrinal differences/corrections at FHE so their kids gained a firm understanding of both sides and which side the parents supported. But they didn't severe the relationship over it. And those kids are amazingly smart and well read (religiously and otherwise) and prepared to meet the world.

• 2 weeks later...